Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Gear/Equipment List

ITH- I have a master Excel spread sheet for my hunting gear.

Sheet #1 is my master sheet which has everything I own, including carry weights on items that I carry on my person.

I then have additional worksheets for each type of hunt. (Mule Deer, Elk). I do this as generally when I hunt MD, I am day hunting vs elk I am on a 2 week backcountry hunt). I then delete items on the species specific sheet. I can see the impact of my pack wirght as I add/delete items.

There are some good websites to use as a starting point for your sheet. (They have the formulas already developed). If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I can send some samples your way. (If I were starting from square 1, I know that is how I would do it.)
I like this idea....

Survival bracelet...about 30' of paracord, 11 bucks IIRC....Amazon.

I have the rifle sling.

http://www.ripcordsurvival.com/Products.html

289D3CDF-EDCD-463F-B887-CC866AB9AF5C-13820-00000B8B63F7BAEB_zps14574370.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, excel is your friend. I do similar to the above. It's easy to print out and modify as needed.

However, I disagree on the toilet paper!! Having young kids has shown me that is not needed, but BABY WIPES are! After a few days sans shower a wipe with one of those is like taking a shower... :D

Wipes are great as long as they aren't at almost freezing temperature;)

However, I disagree on the toilet paper!! Having young kids has shown me that is not needed, but BABY WIPES are! After a few days sans shower a wipe with one of those is like taking a shower... :D[/QUOTE]

Think of nearly frozen wipes as a cold shower! I'm away from my wife on these trips anyway... :D

Well just looking at the numbers makes my back hurt. Luckily it's just 12 miles to where I'm going to base camp, and I'm allowing 2 days to get there. That's with 14 days rations if I stretch it out. 60 pounds was my goal, and what I trained for.

91E7E02F-C39A-4FC2-B740-5BA6A5C5162D-19813-000011CB510BC563_zps27599482.jpg

Here's a generalized list. I weighed everything in the dry bags I use to organize everything, so some of the categories a pretty generic.

12BB0C6C-C46C-481D-9089-68DEED4BE978-19813-000011CD1248A907_zpse9f1b717.jpg

I'm leaving my spotter and tripod at home on my backpack trip. Sure it would be nice, and I may end up regretting it, but I'm not going to be trophy hunting, just looking for a decent bull and if I can't see antlers with my 10X42 then they are too far away! Also my DSLR and big lens stays at home. My little cannon weighs in at about 8oz. That's 10lbs right there you could shed pretty easy! ;)

My theory on spotting scopes is that they are for someone who isn't carrying a rifle.

I'm leaving my spotter and tripod at home on my backpack trip. Sure it would be nice, and I may end up regretting it, but I'm not going to be trophy hunting, just looking for a decent bull and if I can't see antlers with my 10X42 then they are too far away! Also my DSLR and big lens stays at home. My little cannon weighs in at about 8oz. That's 10lbs right there you could shed pretty easy! ;)

My theory on spotting scopes is that they are for someone who isn't carrying a rifle.

I'm taking the spotter to determine a legal ram.

DSLR is necessary, portfolio building is a secondary reason for the trip.

Don't crash out there.
I like Npadens thought on the camera. I know that Photography is a big deal to you but don't let it drag down your hunt.I don't care if you're as fat as a Bear your not gonna be able to hunt hard on 800 to 1200 calories a day.

I'll climb down off my soapbox now. Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
Don't crash out there.
I like Npadens thought on the camera. I know that Photography is a big deal to you but don't let it drag down your hunt.I don't care if you're as fat as a Bear your not gonna be able to hunt hard on 800 to 1200 calories a day.

I'll climb down off my soapbox know. Good luck on your hunt.

Everyone has to hunt their own hunt. I'm not doing anything I haven't done many times before.

Nice,
For some reason I thought NR's had to have a resident family member or pay for a guide to hunt big game in AK. Had no idea a NR could just get a tag and solo hunt. I must be thinking of Canada.

Good luck on your hunt.

Nice,
For some reason I thought NR's had to have a resident family member or pay for a guide to hunt big game in AK. Had no idea a NR could just get a tag and solo hunt. I must be thinking of Canada.

Good luck on your hunt.

You're correct, I'm hunting in Montana.

My first gear list is for my Alaska trip. Hunting deer and black bear up there.

ITH- I have a master Excel spread sheet for my hunting gear.

Sheet #1 is my master sheet which has everything I own, including carry weights on items that I carry on my person.

I then have additional worksheets for each type of hunt. (Mule Deer, Elk). I do this as generally when I hunt MD, I am day hunting vs elk I am on a 2 week backcountry hunt). I then delete items on the species specific sheet. I can see the impact of my pack wirght as I add/delete items.

There are some good websites to use as a starting point for your sheet. (They have the formulas already developed). If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I can send some samples your way. (If I were starting from square 1, I know that is how I would do it.)

I do something similar to this, but use Google Docs. First sheet has gear listed w/the prices I paid, 2nd has gear w/weights, 3rd has food broken down by calories, 4th has state tag prices, PP, unit I'm hunting info, and any other info. Works great when you can just pull it all up at once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back