Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gauze or No Gauze

I always carry gauze and a tube of super glue both can save your life!

I carry quickclot. Don’t even know what it looks like because I’ve never opened it, but I hear it works.

The old stuff burned like the devil (it relied on a chemical reaction), but worked good when the medic poured a packet on me. The new Z-fold bandages infused with one of the newer clotting agents (Quickclot or Celox) are the ticket in my mind, and are already sealed up ready to go.

There is a new one called X-Gauze that is supposed to be the cat's PJs, but I have not seen, or played with them.

Paramedic here... gauze is great and cheap. QuickClot or Combat Gauze is also good but know how to use it. I also carry a few small OTC pills like Benadryl, ibuprofen, aspirin, Imodium, etc. They’ve got multiple uses... for example Benadryl is great at treating nausea as well as allergic reactions. Super glue is great for closing small cuts, that would otherwise need suturing, when you’re far from an ER. Triple antibiotic ointment is good and weighs nothing. Id carry a tourniquet if your using a rifle. But practice before you hit the backcountry.

Those little cleansing wipes that people put in commercial first aid kits are little more than filler. Soap and water does just fine. Irrigate any deeper wounds well with potable water.

Feel free to ask me questions... happy to help!

It would be cool to see some kind of a "medi kit dump" from the paramedics, emt's, nurses etc on hunt talk and discuss what you guys carry in your medical kits and why

Yes it would. Along with sources for anything more sophisticated than bandaids.

First off, I’m an EMT and spent 8 years on an ambulance in a rural county with lots of national forest. Carry the gauze. Get the sealed sterile kind that you can pack a wound with. Carry more than you think you need. Get a tourniquet while you are at it. I’m not sure what my backcountry med kit weighs but it’s for sure overkill but those worst case scenarios actually happen out there.
I was EMT-II until 10 yrs ago & would add a modern corpsman tourniquet ,some clotter & cut glue too now to upgrade mine. Will do more research modern field antiseptics,clotters & such. Way different from what was proticols when I was in the field as EMT.....or Nam.
Aspirin,Vicoden(for breaks),Benadine,1" adhesive tape(the serrated edge stuff needs no scissors).
My survival bag weighs nothing....if I can't carry that without worry,then I sure as shi/ have no place looking for game to carry out.
Was gifted a bug out pack from neighbors a couple years ago & I keep it by the door,I should go thru it thoroughly....

Last edited:
I pack along a small roll of gauze and medical tape. Its come in handy for me on 2 separate occasions. Once this past spring when boning out a bear, I stuck a fileting knife completely through my left thumb. Didn't sever anything important, but it bled like hell. Gauze and tape helped cover it up while I finished the job.

This all stays in my kill kit, which stays in my pack, which stays with me during the entire hunt. Except for a bit of the leukotape on my feet, I have never used any of it (thankfully) but it's worth the weight.
oz.
bandaids & water tabs, needle, contacts, nail clippers, floss1.93
israeli bandage2.6
paracord3.84
quick clot gauze1.93
self grip tape 2.15
tourniquet2.43
leukotape & foam tape2.43
17.31 oz

Keep the gauze and add one of those Israeli compression bandages and some quick clot. In an emergency, you don’t want to be screwing around. It may very well be your life at stake.

Army doctor here. I find it helpful to have separate kits, one routine (bandaids, tylenol, etc), and one "oh sh*t!" Kit (basically an army IFAK).

After seeing them in action, I will not be without a CAT tourniquet, combat gauze, and two chest seals. Those things are very little weight, and when needed, there is no substitute or field improvisation that will compare.

Does anyone carry one of the surgical staplers? Because it seems like it would suck less than suturing yourself (which sucks). Only a couple ounces, to boot.

You can get one in a sterile package "for your dog" for $20 or something like that. Seems like a good idea for those bigger cuts that need closure.

I just wrapped up my Wilderness First Responder and one of the big takeways I had that I would pass on to fellow hunters:

Learn how to stop a bleed and then how to get a rapid evac.

Most of the stuff that happens on the mountain will either be bandaid level, or get off the mountain (or probably should get off). Little things build into big things quickly in environments that aren't friendly to healing. CAT Tourniquets are great and require some training to be used right and effective. Direct pressure and bandages to back it up are essential.

Evac-ing can take hours or days if you are deep in the woods, or it can take a couple of hours or less if you have an InReach. Just get one. Shock can set in quick and bleeds can deteriorate.

...and if you have time and $, take a First Responder course. You won't regret it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back