Gauze or No Gauze

All good stuff. I’m pretty Weight conscious & try to have things that can be used for multiple different things. Duct tape for example.
I also carry:
Paracord
Quick clot gauze
Tweasers
Benadryl
Some kind of painkiller. Norco, etc

Does anyone carry one of the surgical staplers? Because it seems like it would suck less than suturing yourself (which sucks). Only a couple ounces, to boot.

You can get one in a sterile package "for your dog" for $20 or something like that. Seems like a good idea for those bigger cuts that need closure.

I use the "steri-strip" wound closure kits, work good on pretty big wounds, no pain to apply. If it's a bigger wound than that can handle I'm headed for the ER anyways, with a gauze pack. If you go stapling it up in the backcountry those staples are probably going to need to be pulled for a proper cleaning once you get out.

Thanks for everybody sharing their kits and photos. This is incredibly helpful as I upgrade my kit - I just raid a small over the counter first aid kit I keep in my car. Now I’ll actually upgrade my kit and plan for the worst. Thanks everybody!!

Sorry to double post - while putting the phone down the infamous words of my old wilderness first responder instructor rang in my head - “When you’re going into the wilderness remember one thing - Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance”

Gauze is probably one of the most used items in my first aid. I use it for wiping around cuts, and as a bandaid with adhesive tape. Imo, have some gauze, its light and a great piece of medical equipment if you get cut or scraped.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back