Gauze or No Gauze

NEWHunter

In an effort to dual purpose some items in my pack, I decided last year that I wasn’t going to include any gauze in my emergency kit. Figured I would just cut up a game bag if I felt I needed it that badly. Thoughts on whether game bag strips will serve as an acceptable replacement.

In a pinch a used snotrag will work,but never recommended....take gauze & a roll of quality adhesive tape. I have pads & a roll in my kit. FormerEMTII...

Gauze is a good thing to have, when you need it. I vacuum seal most of those compressible type items and they take up less room and it keeps them clean. Then, I also have a small plastic bag to use if I need one for other things. Most things have more than one use and I try to not only see the initial use. I never had a situation where I needed to put these items to the test, but its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. IMO...

Keep the gauze. This is what I carry in my hunting pack. It weighs next to nothing and sits in a dry bag on a exterior pocket. The one thing I do recommend is buy extras of whatever you decided to go with and open, practice with one of each. The last thing you want to do is read directions or fumble around while you are someone else is bleeding out.

Attachments

• 54E40A1B-265E-45EB-AA37-6D65379CB512.jpeg
    54E40A1B-265E-45EB-AA37-6D65379CB512.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 42
I always carry gauze and some shrunk towels in a micro tube. They weight nothing, but when exposed to liquid or water they swell up and can be rung out for repeated use etc. Really handy and both together weight next to nothing!

I thru all my gauze away and duel purpose my bullets.. rl 33 works really well, nice and slow burning.. seal up those veins..

I remember seeing that episode of dual survival where one of the guys tried that. The first time it didn't seal, so he had to do it again 🤬

I used to carry band aids and electrical tape.

Then I watched Jacobsen. I hunt with my boys. Suddenly I decided I'd never forgive myself in one bled out because I was cheap and stupid. I got some stuff to avoid that. I can carry 1/2 lb of piece of mind

First off, I’m an EMT and spent 8 years on an ambulance in a rural county with lots of national forest. Carry the gauze. Get the sealed sterile kind that you can pack a wound with. Carry more than you think you need. Get a tourniquet while you are at it. I’m not sure what my backcountry med kit weighs but it’s for sure overkill but those worst case scenarios actually happen out there.

I carry a first aid kit all the time; just lives in the bottom of my day pack. It's about the size of a 1liter water bottle. It goes with me for all fishing, camping, hunting, hiking, and all school trips (outdoor education and track/field).
Besides Band-Aids and topical antibiotic the most used and replaced thing I carry is nitrile gloves, gauze pads, and rolls of Coban.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back