PEAX Equipment

Garmin GPS

kad1429

My name is Kyle from Billings MT I am in the market for a Garmin GPS money is a little tight as it is for everybody but Im really needing one for back country elk hunting and am looking for one that i can download things on and install on x maps

Try the etrax 20 ... On sale at Cabela's now for $150. I have a DIY elk hunt in Wyoming the end of Sept. And will be getting one for myself.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin 62s and it's done well for me on 2 hunts. I actually just bought a Rino 650 as my hunting partner decided he would get one so we could communicate when apart. PM me if interested. I'd let it go for a fair price.

Brett

Go to the Garmin factory store and look at the Dakota 20. I bought a reconditioned one for $129 last fall and it works great, is very compact and takes the OnX chips.

If you have never used a GPS before make sure to get your maps downloaded and practice with it this summer. Also remember they are hard on batteries so have extra with and shut it off when you aren't using it. My GPS is old so feel free to chime in if anyone has a newer one.

If you have never used a GPS before make sure to get your maps downloaded and practice with it this summer. Also remember they are hard on batteries so have extra with and shut it off when you aren't using it. My GPS is old so feel free to chime in if anyone has a newer one.

Using lithium ion batteries helped tremendously with battery life on my gps last year. Be sure to go into settings and set it for lithium batteries if the gps unit you get has that option.

I've got the Oregon 450 w/Xmaps. I can see all the public as I drive along too. I don't leave it turned on,and it will last . I have backup rechargables. Recharger in truck.

Being a tech challenged individual,most of the stuff I don't use or have use for.
But the maps and waypoints /tracks are excellent.

I hook it up to my laptop and can get a great view..

There are some good suggestions above, it really just depends on how much you want to spend.
I have the Garmin Oregon 450t and the Montana 600t both with the Hunting gps maps chip in both of them, and they are great units and very user friendly.

Kevin

There are some good suggestions above, it really just depends on how much you want to spend.
I have the Garmin Oregon 450t and the Montana 600t both with the Hunting gps maps chip in both of them, and they are great units and very user friendly.

Kevin

+1 on the 450T

I had an Oregon 450 and got rid of it. I didn't like the touch screen and didn't need half of the optional stuff that came on it. I am very happy with my etrex 20, I just wish the screen was a little bigger, but it is more than functional for what I need.

That's what I'm thinking is the etrex 20 or garmin 62s I don't really like touch screens I don't even like my touch screen phone lol

I had an Oregon 450 and got rid of it. I didn't like the touch screen and didn't need half of the optional stuff that came on it. I am very happy with my etrex 20, I just wish the screen was a little bigger, but it is more than functional for what I need.

Screen size is why I bought the 600t, plus Cabela's had a great sale on it.
much easier to see with older eyes too. lol
I love the touch screen, very user friendly, but there are a lot of extra's that I don't use on them.

Kevin

One of the best "extra" features of the 450t is being able to take a picture of camp or a kill site and have it automatically mark it as a way point.

I bought the etrex 20 for $150 at Cabelas. Xmaps will be $100 more I believe but they didn't have state I needed on hand. It is small but it seemed simple and useful the little I have tried it out.

I just got a Garmin 62st from Cabelas, they had a HUGE sale picked it up for $299 originally $499. Works awesome have not bought a chip for it yet. Trying to decide between the xmaps or the garmin huntview. Either the Etrex or the 62 are awesome units you will not be disappointed.

I got a garmin 62s from a guy but I talked with a guy from cabelas yesterday for almost an hour about the chips and he said the onx maps are a much better deal they have every thing the other ones do maybe even better topo but they also have all public and privet land down to 8 meters give or take plus they have all land owners

Kyle,

thanks for the feedback about the maps. I have been doing a lot of research on the cards and I have to disagree with the information that you received from Cabelas.

The Onx maps are $99 for MT and while they do show land owners name and public vs land the Huntview maps do as well and they are $79 for MT however, the huntview maps dont have the name of the landowner. Both maps use the same topo coverage 1:24k. The biggest advantage I have found with the Huntview maps is that they have a "birdseye" overlay that uses a satellite image from google earth over the topo map. You can adjust the transparency of the satellite image as you want.

For the ability to have the birdseye image I am going with the Huntview. I have talked with several people and bot are great chips to have and I am sure you will be happy with either one. Just wanted to give you all the information that I have learned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back