PEAX Equipment

Garfield County sues High Lonesome Ranch over road access

I had similar problem in Meeker area while hunting elk. A rancher blocked a county road and the sheriff ended up putting one of his deputies there for a few days to ensure it remained open. Blocked off a BUNCH of BLM land in the process doing that.

I saw that and am glad it has finally been ruled upon. I'll be curious if they appeal. I've seen Brandon present similar RS2477 information on this and ask Mesa County to pursue, like GC, historic mapping of many of the historic RS2477 routes. MC commissioners generally dismissed it as a gimmick that was not worth funding that effort. The precedent this may set will be interesting. Around me, much of the angst and desire to leverage RS2477 has actually been against the BLM closing roads instead of private landowners like in this case. I don't pretend to understand all the legalese and nuances, but I suspect we'll be seeing more of this stuff.

For those not familiar with the area, much of the land around this particular closure and the HL ranch are under the footprint of the 2020 Pine Gulch fire. I don't think HL lost any structures but can't say for certain.

I am glad the precedence has been set and now CO has a legal means to hold entities accountable for closing public access to public roads that lead to public land (through private land).

I would think if a person wants to hunt this area, he/she could go into the area's Ranger Station/Office, and find out what their opinion is on whether the road and access is public or private. Get the name of the person that told you this too. Then, if you have GPS or Onyx mapping go hunt the area. If someone confronts you, calmly point out that you've just checked your GPS and that governing agency says this is a public area, and that they are harassing you. They need to stop harassing you, or you'll be the one to call the Sheriff. Pull out your phone, and record the interchange with them.

Its nothing new. Same type of case happened down SW Colorado abut 20 years ago. Guy built a bullet proof gate on the side of a cliff- claiming his mining claim is private. Blocked a ton of access off to the best elk and deer- brought his asshole texas friends with him to threaten anyone that tried to access the area.....smart guy though- he played the sherriff against the town cops against the F&G cops...took about 20 years to get it finally resolved...

Yes, that is frustrating to me too but I believe the key word in your post is was as I don't recognize his name on the TRCP BOD anymore, correct (I believe it was Paul Vahldiek Jr if I'm not mistaken)?

I saw this news article in the same screen that I saw the GJ Sentinel article about that HL appeal above.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/361780-montezuma-county-expands-historic-road-map

Montezuma County is trying to leverage RS 2477 to establish ROW in BLM and USFS land. I don't know much about much, but that's a simmering and related issue. Garfield County had the same conversations, not sure where it went or if they're ongoing. Mesa County didn't want to bite. I really don't want to blow up this thread with that RS2477 debate, but it is worth watching.

Threshold place is burned down from the last fires. Nothing there to access. Looks like the moon.

I have muzzleloader deer elk and bear tags for this unit. We were looking at the south side of horse mountain but if the road is infact open we may check out the north side or the west part of cow ridge. How’s it looking with the drought and fire devastation. Probly like the moon. Any green? Any predictions on the confrontations between hlr and the hunters?

Back