PEAX Equipment

Gamin handhelds and BLM maps

Solohuntr

I have a Garmin e-trex legend HCx and am having great issues trying to download updated maps, map source and install are not working right, (Vista) I see the BLM has plat maps for this garmin -down load or preloaded chips-and I would enjoy having the plat maps down loaded and installed, would I be better off just buying the loaded chip and how much issue is it to view on the unit??? bypassing my computer skills?? This is My first trip out west and I dont need a location issue on a ticket! ( area 7, 8 oct-12 Oct)

any advice wolud be nice,,

I have not been able to download the maps on Vista either, I am going to give up and buy the preloaded sd card.

Bob

I wonder if this is a vista issue ? Or would it be the format the maps or sent in? I have been getting ready to get a different gps and want to do the download myself. That way i can use it on computer. If Vista is the issue Ill just have to pull the old puter out of the closet.

What is the link for the down load? I can take a look at it and see if it will work with an adjustment or two.

you have to purchase the download from BLM for either $79 or $99,, they sent a map and program with the garmin i got, have not been able to get it to work,, Rumor is the wy=plat4map download is coded to your GPS serial number and cant be swapped :( not sure about the preloaded chip,,, and its only for certain gamins with the micro slot.

wy-plat4gps is the code in the gf.state.wy.us site, ( hope I typed that right)

you have to purchase the download from BLM for either $79 or $99,, they sent a map and program with the garmin i got, have not been able to get it to work,, Rumor is the wy=plat4map download is coded to your GPS serial number and cant be swapped :( not sure about the preloaded chip,,, and its only for certain gamins with the micro slot.

wy-plat4gps is the code in the gf.state.wy.us site, ( hope I typed that right)

Sounds more like you're dealing with the huntinggpsmaps.com product than something available directly from BLM. If so, give them a call and they should be able to help you with their product.

One possibility I can come up with is that your drivers need to be updated. Check out the following link and it will have garmins driver update for Feb 2011. It lists the drivers being good for vista.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

Hope this helps. I also wondered if BLM wouldn't simply make their data maps available for free seems how they are government and all. However, in my opinion some government entities starts acting like private for profit companies so who knows. It would be nice if you could get the BLM maps in data form for free....it would be a big public relations boost.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back