game bag questions

VAspeedgoat

Ok, as an eastern tenderfoot I am not very well versed on game bags. I intend to go with tag bags as most of you guys reccomend them. I have been doing the gutless method for some time now but just use a trash bag because within a very short while I can get the meat in a cooler or fridge. That will not be the case on my first mulie hunt. My biggest concern because of no experience is how do I keep the blood from soaking into my pack? Is it not a concern, do you still use a trashbag to line the pack? Also are game bags necessary when the temperature is cooler. My hunt is in late October so is breathability of the bag a big concern? Any other game bag advice would be helpful. Thanks for helping a tenderfoot.

I use a trashbag as a liner in my pack. IMO, yes, breathability is still important at that time of the year as it can still be pretty warm. BTW, a bit or even a lot of blood on the pack isn't all that big of a problem. Hit a car wash and spray that sucker. Or soak in the tub when you get home with some dish soap. If the bag is removable from the frame, run it through the washing machine.

I think the Alaska Game Bags (4 pack of 48" bags, $12.99 @ Cabelas) work just fine for me. Generally not reusable though. I usually line my pack with a trash bag. Yes, game bags necessary IMO, regardless of temp, I like to bone out the meat, tie a knot in the bag, and hang to cool/drain before packing out. The bags help keep the meat clean and give you a way to hang it.

Never use trash bags! Plastic does not allow the meat to air...therefore will not cool. You need that meat to cool as quickly as possible. Meat that is allowed to retain heat will sour...and therefore develop the "gamy taste" people complain about.

You can use old pillow cases if you want to stay on the cheap. They don't breath as good as quality game bags like Caribou Gear Game bags. The Caribou bags are reusable. They're very tightly woven to keep out the bugs. The Alaska bags are ok but are more loosely woven so bugs can get in and lay eggs. My two cents....I live in UT and back hunt for mule deer and elk every year. I hunt 30-45 days per year chasing these critters. All come out on our backs. Have not soured one yet....If you want more detailed info, PM me. Always willing to share the love.

Trash compactor bags are the best I've found for lining a pack. Get the unscented...

Game bags help keep the meat clean even in cooler temps. Only keep meat in a plastic bag during transport, and let it hang in a well ventilated area in a bag that breaths. If the bags get bloody, swap them out and wash them. The TAG bags dry quite fast. There are many synthetic bags on the market now, I've tried a few and they all work fine just fine.

DIAZ hit it with the heat... don't put the meat in a plastic bag if its still warm, and minimize the time in the plastic at all costs.

Good luck on your hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back