GA Deer Season 2022

Wrapping up:

When I got to my buck on the ground, I actually started laughing a bit. I was immediately excited and pleased, because I'd gotten so focused on filling the tag and ending the season that I'd really just honed in on him being a mature buck and assumed he was just "okay" in the antler department. The shadows had made it difficult to really study them, and I had mostly not cared anyway. But when I saw him up close, I said "Damn! Not bad, not bad at all!"

I hastily took grip and grin using my phone timer to send to my wife, my dad, and to that rascal @CowboyLeroy, who called to say how glad he was I could stop focusing on deer and start preparing to hunt turkeys with him.

Screenshot_20230107-001725_Gallery.jpg

My dad and another buddy showed up soon after and requested that we stage a few better photos. So we did. His idea to position the shot to capture the full moon in the background.

IMG_20230106_192001248_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Another angle

IMG_20230106_191757630.jpg

This buck has a fair amount of what makes a "trophy": Pretty good mass, decent width and of course, tall tines. But he also has some really unique traits: A very weird crab claw on the end of his right main, a butcher knife for a left G2 (it's extremely bladed along the entire tine), and some of the most gnarled and wildest looking antler bases I've seen on a deer that wasn't 160"+.

The combination of big and funky this deer carried makes him a really cool buck that I'm very satisfied with. It felt good to cap my season off with a buck like that.

Notes upon cleaning the buck: "Autopsy" revealed that either of the first two shots that hit him would've been enough to kill this buck, as they both found vitals. The final shot actually broke his neck. Technically unnecessary, but it sped up the dying process and didn't waste any meat, so I am glad I did it.

He was also pretty run down, probably in a post rut state. His upper digestive tract was full of water oak acorns, and the limited amount of body fat he carried was stained orange, like you might find on a wood duck. I've never seen a deer show that much orange in their fat.

I had fulfilled my goal of two bucks, one from each of my main hunting areas, and both had been deer I could feel excited and proud over.

As mentioned, I got home and took my wife out for the final hunt of the season. (Today is the actual last day, but I've hung it up for the year.)

We sat on the ground by a big open field, just to do something different. We talked about the last season, and we talked about what next year's season might hold.

Nearing dark, six or seven does fed out into the field at different places. Neither of us had any desire to shoot one. We just talked the afternoon away, watching the does feed while I reflected on how blessed I am to do this every year. Then we watched the sun slip down below the pines one last time for "GA Deer Season 2022."

IMG_20230107_171247.jpg

I was very happy to have some survivors on my land. Or so I like to think they survived. Odds are they did. The surrounding club should be paying me to save deer for them. Lord have mercy they are hard on the deer. If it wasn't for my club, I don't know if anything would ever be left at the end of the season. We fill the feeders and don't step foot on our club after the rut to give the deer a couple hundred acre refuge to hide on.

WGI_0621.JPGWGI_0735.JPGWGI_1262.JPGWGI_1304.JPG

I was very happy to have some survivors on my land. Or so I like to think they survived. Odds are they did. The surrounding club should be paying me to save deer for them. Lord have mercy they are hard on the deer. If it wasn't for my club, I don't know if anything would ever be left at the end of the season. We fill the feeders and don't step foot on our club after the rut to give the deer a couple hundred acre refuge to hide on.

View attachment 259906View attachment 259907View attachment 259908View attachment 259909
That's a really nice one in that second picture. The property I referred to as The Creek in this story is a lot like that for me. At our local lease, where I got the first buck, we've got some deer hunting neighbors but we all communicate and keep standards for what we shoot and don't. There's the ever present threat of dirt road poachers but generally there's 3-4 decent sized holdings of like minded hunters keeping things right for the deer.

On the Creek place however... yikes. It's a property made up of a few scattered parcels and outside of one neighbors place, it's pretty much the wild west out there. A lot of success on that place comes from the pressure they experience when they leave it.

Im glad he didn't get killed. We need more of those 10-point genetics spread around. We have a lot of 8 points on our land.

Our buck to doe ratio is pretty high and to be honest, if you don't kill a deer by the rut, the odds in finding a buck that doesn't have some or most of his points broken off becomes pretty hard. I was surprised to see that 10 point fully intact. Apparently, he must have not liked to fight.

On the subject of bucks surviving the season, here's the little rascal that got downwind of me the evening I killed my second buck.

30263005735676(1).jpeg

Pretty decent set of antlers for his likely age. Certainly not an old buck, would guess 2.5 or 3.5 years old. But now, to quote Doc Holliday, "He's an educated man."

A buck with headgear that big on my lease would be a minimum of 4.5...They grow super slow in my area.

A buck with headgear that big on my lease would be a minimum of 4.5...They grow super slow in my area.
I definitely don't have any real proof of his age, but just comparing him to the bucks I see/shoot out there, he has to be pretty young. Buck I shot this year had a bigger butt, gut, neck etc.

East of Thomasville West of Valdosta. First buck was local to me, second wasn't. When you get your post count up send me a PM and I'll share more in detail
thanks not too far from you hunt on ocmulgee river near abbeville

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back