Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

GA Deer Season 2022

Today's scenario: A redneck sentry line along the eastern bank of the creek.

I am back where I shot the deer the first time. My dad is further north in a tripod stand that looks goofy but has been the most lethal spot in our time on this farm. My cousin is down from Middle Georgia, and he is sitting in a big water oak to the south of me.

This farm is bigger than just this stretch of creek. There are some mixed ag/CRP areas and a big stand of red oaks worth hunting. My dad and cousin will want to hunt those spots some as well, so I won't always have backup flanking my position.

The wind is favorable to setting up our little firing line so we chose to do it tonight. Maybe one of us can get eyes on him.
Glad this thread popped back up. We’ll done so far. Good luck.

Is the rut finally starting to happen down there? So strange how the rut differs across this state.
Lot of counties down here are steady at it and further south aren't even at that point yet. Counties like Early and Miller peak leading up to Christmas so next week's cold weather will probably make it explode down there.

As ridiculous and impossible as it seems, I'm pretty sure I got eyes on my buck this evening, about an hour before dark.

Screenshot_20221209-200340_Maps.jpg

I am at red X. He was moving E>W and I glassed him at the blue X. (Previous weekend when I shot he was SE of red X. Creek bottom where dogs jumped him first is SW of red X.)

I don't know if it was him for sure, but the look I did get was promising. Same heavy frame, main beams that curl inward, and white tines over dark bases. Most importantly though: I did NOT get a good look at his driver side shoulder for the telltale bullet wound he *should* be carrying.

Unsurprisingly, he was in the one and only spot he could be and not fall victim to the redneck firing line. My dad was closer than me to him, but above him and unaware of his presence. I could see him but only at 400 plus yards through thick cover.

Whoever he was, he bedded down there and I left in a way that wouldn't let him scent me.

Also saw a young buck chasing a doe and a few does feeding in the field edge. Dad saw pigs and cousin saw some does.

Tomorrow morning I'll be back either on the red X or NW of the blue X.

Saw him at new blue X near bottom this morning at daylight, briefly.

I could have shot at one point if I had positive ID, but never had an opportunity once I became sure it was him. I absolutely must have positive ID before shooting. Also, he has a doe in there with him.

Screenshot_20221209-200340_Maps.jpg

Hunting this deer has become a unique challenge. I have wind, rut conditions and a few other factors in my favor. But this is still going to be an uphill climb.

Lunch break.

I didn't see the main buck any after my last post, but suspect he is still where he was at daylight or somewhere close.

Saw a few small bucks, several does and one other large buck. Also a nice flock of wood ducks got off the creek really close by at one point.

Plan is to be back in the same spot in an hour or two to finish out the day.

This morning went much like the past few days. At 9:00 a.m. he came out at 350 yards but was obstructed by some irrigation equipment.

The wound on his shoulder has largely healed. I finally saw it well enough that I know without a doubt he will survive that one. Looks like he also succeeded in breeding at least two does, all while being shot, pursued with dogs etc.

At noon we tried a Midwestern-style drive but to no avail. That was enough to throw in the towel.

I left him a present, though - I've got a trail camera down on one of his main travel routes between where I saw him today and where I shot him the first time.

It will be a while before I can hunt over there again. Chances are I will not see him again. But you never know.

Some photos:

IMG_20221209_153513.jpg
Far treeline is his kingdom.

IMG_20221209_154018.jpg
Unbelievable deer and hog sign.

IMG_20221211_074417.jpg
Look close - double throat patch on this yearling buck. Rare down here, I see it maybe once a season.

IMG_20221209_142615.jpg
Camp house.

IMG_20221209_120839.jpg
Awesome mural in town. Note the mound in the background, some big ones nearby.

What do you make of the wound? Bullet defection? Hard quartering shot angle?
Mostly the latter. Best I can figure is he was quartered away from me more than I realized. I also pulled the shot to the right a few inches which made it worse. I think I sort of "clipped" the front of his shoulder, in and out, no bones no vitals.

Well damn.

Found a spare afternoon to get in the woods and try and turn up another buck. I was really excited because I got my wife out in the woods and had her primed to play triggerman, or triggerwoman as it were.

I have a target buck for her that's basically a whopper six point (3×3) with a reputation for cheating death. There's another buck or two in the area worth a look and we had an opportunity at one of then this afternoon and collectively passed on it.

I think we're both regretting it just a tiny bit. Maybe we'll find some more time during the holidays to squeeze in another hunt.

Got out yesterday morning. Came in from a looooong road trip the night prior and was only equipped with about four hours of sleep, but I went back to the creek to try my luck in the cold.

I had a great hunt and in three hours of both sitting and still hunting I turned up eighteen deer and two hogs.

Heading back over for a few hours this afternoon. Clock is ticking on my season.

So... yesterday's hunt was a bust. Pretty bad actually: I saw three hogs and zero deer. It was like the well had dried up.

What's even worse, the lull in the hunting gave me a chance to do some reflecting on my life and some issues I'm dealing with right now.

Gross.

What's worst of all, is that some of those issues surround my hunting... habits.

I may have fugged this up.

I like to say I've learned more from a few failed experiences in the woods than I have all my successful ones combined. Is this one of those times?

Maybe.

I realized yesterday evening that to keep holding out for "my" buck was a pretty pointless endeavor. Maybe there's a small chance I can find him again, but the odds aren't good.
And every minute I spend sitting on that creek not shooting a buck is a minute I could spend somewhere else.

I think I like hunting deer in general a lot more than I like hunting a specific deer - that's the lesson learned here.

For the rest of the season my approach will be different. I've got too many places to hunt to stay so attached to one little spot.

Down to about ten days to fill my second tag. It will be a challenge, since the weather won't be cold and the rut is basically over everywhere I hunt. We'll see how it shakes out.

Oh and to add: I shot one of the hogs. I was walking back to the truck at that point, and could see/hear some feeding on acorns on the hillside I was traveling across. Sort of below me.

A few flushed and ran up the hill right past me. I mostly don't shoot hogs anymore unless I'm on foot and walk up to one. Last hog I killed was at 15 or so yards. This one was even closer.

It's somewhat of a safety thing for me; I would rather shoot one and run them off than risk stumbling over a big mean boar. At one point I looked down a little trail and a 120 lb. sow was trotting up the trail towards me. I turned my scope power down and shot her in the forehead at about ten paces.

She sorta rolled down the hill, got up and walked a little circle, then laid down and died. No pics - sorry.

I got out this evening and had a great hunt. I'm attaching a photo to this post because I can't embed in the post for some reason, but I want everyone to see how nicely this little green plot turned out.

I wound up seeing several does and a small buck. Such a fun spot to sit and see deer.

I left the stand a few minutes early. I was underdressed and it was getting cold. As I was approaching my truck, a loud rifle shot rang out down the road. It could only be the neighbor, an older gentleman who lives in the only occupied house for about a mile in each direction on this road.

His property is small - five or six acres - but is surrounded by big woods and ag fields. He does all of his deer hunting from his back porch, as his property is narrow but reaches a good ways back behind his actual house.

He has a bit of a bad back, so I've helped him load a few deer into his pickup. The fella has killed some nice bucks right there sipping coffee on his porch. I headed down to his place, hopeful that he'd whacked another nice one, but when I met him in the side yard he just shook his head and said no, I let loose on a big hog I saw from the kitchen window.

We sat and visited for a while, and I admired some of the bucks he has mounted in his place. I like his style: Lots of nice deer, that he never brags about in town or posts about on FB. I would bet very few people around our parts know that he is one of the more effective big buck hunters in our area, all from the back porch of a little bungalow tucked off in the pines.

I'm thankful for this evening. First time hunting solo in a spot other than the creek in over a month, and I'm glad for it. I'm excited for the final stretch of the season and look forward to sharing here.

Between my wife and I, there ought to be another dead deer or two in this thread between now and January 8.

Attachments

• IMG_20221230_171658.jpg
    IMG_20221230_171658.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Thanks for the story so far. Highs and lows. That was a great deer you killed early on. I’m interested to hear how the rest of your season goes.

Alright boys and girls of HT, we're heading into the final stretch of the season: The Last Week is upon us.

It's always been a sad time for me; I just hate seeing the sun creep down on the final day, which is this coming Sunday.

But sad as it may be, there are reasons for optimism, and plenty of opportunities for me to hunt this week.

Here is what we're looking like:

Tonight, my wife and I hunted the spot where she passed on a buck a few weeks ago. All we could scratch up was two does and a bobcat. (I will admit that she was absolutely delighted at seeing her first live bobcat, and her excitement at that alone made the evening worthwhile.)

On the plus side, she is really starting to catch the hunting bug and is now saying she will shoot a doe this week if she can't find a buck, AND she wants to gut it herself. She's killed a few deer back in her teenage years, but has only been passively interested in hunting in the five years I've known her. Seeing her get a little fired up to hunt some more this week has been really fun.

So for her, we will hunt a weekday or two early this week and then try again Saturday or Sunday if need be.

For me: It's time to return to my ultra-special, top secret ace-up-the-sleeve hunting spot, which I have not hunted since December of 2021. I have a small window of time to slip over to a little out of the way property that's been very good to me over the past few years, AND the weather will be sublime during that 2-3 day window.

I'll spill a little more background later, but for now I'm going to avoid jinxing myself and shut up about it.

More to come.

Also, just for fun: Attached is Target Buck #1 for my wife. There are other bucks (or does) that are valid candidates, but this guy take priority over all others. He's been around a few years and is pretty wily. Check out the crazy antler setup he's got.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101-200741_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101-200741_Gallery.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 16
Also, just for fun: Attached is Target Buck #1 for my wife. There are other bucks (or does) that are valid candidates, but this guy take priority over all others. He's been around a few years and is pretty wily. Check out the crazy antler setup he's got.

@RobertD That will be a nice one for the wife to get. Good luck to both of you this week. Our season in SC closed (for me on Friday). Blessed year for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back