Yeti GOBOX Collection

GA Deer Season 2022

Now that I've wrapped up some butchering, I can wrap up the last of the story.

It was really rewarding to put hands on this buck. My home county ranks with the best of them in our state for good deer, but in ten deer seasons living and hunting here, I felt like I'd never gotten my opportunity to tag one of my own.

This is exactly the kind of deer that's eluded me here in my own backyard for oh so long.

IMG_4926.jpg

Awesome deer.
Congrats on a big one!!

Do you have a cushion to sit on up there?
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Awesome deer. Hope he gets on your wall.
Thanks for sharing.

Another angle. Also quite thrilled that my beautiful wife joined the (rather brief) tracking effort. She actually kicked up a hog at one point - you never know in the woods I guess.

FullSizeR.jpg

He's in the 150 neighborhood I would guess. Less interested in that than I am in the total picture. I've never killed a clean 5x5 buck of any size before.

Hanging shot:

IMG_4964.jpg

The big point of interest here is the body size. He was fairly run down but not horribly so. He's just a significantly undersized deer for his likely age and antler growth per what I expect from our area.

In fact, my crew has tagged ten bucks in the past two weeks, with him likely being the highest scoring in antler inches but the lowest or near lowest in body weight.

No notable issues health wise either, besides an old healed antler puncture in his upper back and a calloused over .22 hole in a back ham. Will look for bullet when deboning.

Last edited:
That's some of the coolest looking stuff down there. What an awesome hunt and country. Great buck, scrawny bugger, or your just stacked.

Congrats!

Sweet buck, and I was thinking that his body looked small, glad you thought so also. In the picture with your rifle on the buck, looks like his left base and antler has more mass, but in the picture with your wife, they look more equal. If there is indeed quite a difference in mass, that could account for the smaller than average body size, unseen injury of some sort. Probably just my eyes though:)

Those pines can get frustrating to hunt sometimes but I love it. I think I'm better ar finding deer in the pines than in the hardwoods. Congrats on a nice buck.

Wow. Thanks for sharing your hunt. I enjoyed the narrative about the country.

Also, I’m ignorant to tree stand hunting. 40 feet!?

Congratulations. That’s a beautiful buck.
I almost definitely mistyped. That stand is pretty high but more like between 20 and 30, not 40.

Congrats! Sure is some body size difference compared to what I’m used to lol

For sure, but he was really small compared to most grown bucks here. 215-225 or even bigger is more the norm. You'd really enjoy some of the coastal Florida deer if you could see them, though. It's crazy, like little goats.

Sweet buck, and I was thinking that his body looked small, glad you thought so also. In the picture with your rifle on the buck, looks like his left base and antler has more mass, but in the picture with your wife, they look more equal. If there is indeed quite a difference in mass, that could account for the smaller than average body size, unseen injury of some sort. Probably just my eyes though:)

It does look like that but it's probably only a 1/2 inch bigger. His only real asymmetrical spot is that right G2. He has a few old healed wounds but nothing notable beyond that. Who knows.

I appreciate everyone's kind words and am glad you're all enjoying the thread.

Season is far from over and I will definitely be doing some more hunting throughout its duration.

This week should also be a great week to hunt as the weather is right and the rut is moving towards its peak. Neighbors will be off work and roaming their own properties and the deer will move. More to come!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back