Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

FWP Commission to change Gardiner Elk hunting

Well, finally sent comments. Growing up in the area, this has traditionally been a wait for weather to drive elk out of the park and hopefully be in the right place at the right time. I remember as a kid in the 90s having a literal firing line on Deckard flats as well as stories of fistfights occurring over who shot that bull. I feel that the muzzleloader season and opening this back up to a general tag will be another nail in the coffin for the northern Yellowstone elk herd.

If you plan to testify for the Zoom call tomorrow, you must sign up today. Link here - https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/mtg/decemberjointmeeting12202022

If you have not commented yet, I hope you will. We stand a very good chance of this backdoor "amendment to agenda with no public notice" trick sliding in for approval.

Not sure how a Region 1 Commissioner can make an unvetted proposal for the most contested/controversial/debated hunt code of the last 20 years, Hunt Code 313-45, and do so in a Region that he is a complete stranger to.

Thanks for any comments folks are inclined to send. Links in Post #1.
This is what I see when I click that link.....

1671463910244.png

This is what I see when I click that link.....

View attachment 256301

It's working on my end.

Regardless, showing up at the Regional HQ's or Helena is always an option. These are public meetings, and Montana's Constitutional Right to Participate can't be shuttered aside.

Register if Zoom is your only option, otherwise show up, be polite and don't let them gaslight you into feeling like you're the one doing something wrong.

Hmm. It was my understanding we had until noon today to register for the Zoom call. Maybe I was wrong. Seems they would want the public to know about this BS and be able to provide comments - evidently not.
We have until 3pm, per the website.

I’m not going to be able to connect to Zoom for the meeting tomorrow so hopefully my email to this commissioners is sufficient communication of my opposition to changing the season structure in 313 back to general regulations.

Thanks to everyone who is registered and plans to make comments via Zoom.

I did notice this when I registered.....haven't received a confirmation email so I'm confused. Perhaps yet another prime example of why the public process needs longer lead times so FWP doesn't screw it up.

1671480595774.png

Someone already posted a link above to the FWP public comments and near as I could tell, going through the ones that were published in the document, every one related to the 313 topic was in support. Makes me wonder how/what comments get published to that document.

Someone already posted a link above to the FWP public comments and near as I could tell, going through the ones that were published in the document, every one related to the 313 topic was in support. Makes me wonder how/what comments get published to that document.
Those were the comments due Nov 18th or 19th. The comments for this session will be posted after the meeting tomorrow sometime. Based on name recognition, all the 'in favor' comments from the previous session were from MOGA folks...it is an obviously concerted effort. It seems Tabor read thru the comments and stood up like the Manchurian candidate and parroted out the MOGA party line.

Comments sent. I echo others concerns. It’s sad to see a proposal like this which would certainly be a further detriment to this herd, with already ridiculously low bull-to-cow ratios.

Also came across this article on the topic:
https://helenair.com/news/state-and...cle_37af36c7-94f2-582d-a02c-dcc9f676135d.html

3.6 : 100 bull-to-cow ratio. You know its bad when they have to use decimals to make the number look better. Honestly curious, is there any other elk herd in the world with worse bull-to-cow ratios?

Comments sent. I echo others concerns. It’s sad to see a proposal like this which would certainly be a further detriment to this herd, with already ridiculously low bull-to-cow ratios.

https://helenair.com/news/state-and...cle_37af36c7-94f2-582d-a02c-dcc9f676135d.html

3.6 : 100 bull-to-cow ratio. You know its bad when they have to use decimals to make the number look better. Honestly curious, is there any other elk herd in the world with worse bull-to-cow ratios?

All you folks wanting higher bull/cow ratio are just killjoy’s. Isn’t it every spike elks dream to have 27.77 cows available for his affection?

The article said it had IMPROVED to 3.6 : 100......woofta

Just looked at a very popular Idaho unit, adult bull estimate was 2:100. Every year Bull harvest is basically the same as post season count meaning 50% of the bulls are killed every fall with the majority killed being spikes. The season has never changed in my lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back