Caribou Gear

FWP adjusts mule deer quotas in response to spring surveys

I'm sending you a snickers. Hangry old bastige.
I'd be happier if you could send SE Montana some mule deer.

Oh, and I'm reluctant to tell the FWP I saw a live mule deer doe last year where I hunt in Western Montana last fall. First one in 9 years.

I'm sure they would promptly release a statement to the public how they increased the mule deer herd by 100% since 2014.

Probably worth at least 50 doe tags.

It’s great to see the progress that’s finally starting to happen, but when will there also be management for bucks as well. There isn’t an unlimited supply of them either. I’m glad we’re taking a step forward anyways. Hopefully these changes continue.

Change is good here, but incremental change is just going to condense pressure further and further and we'll continue to run out of places for it to go.

We need blanket change, for both species.

I like the recent developments with SE Montana mule deer. Not as many steps as I would like, but at least we are pointed in the right direction. I worry though that in a few years when the Mule Deer herd on private land recovers FWP will declare victory and we will be right back to 11,000 region wide doe tags and pounding public land long before there is a recovery. Problem is the public herd needs to recolonize many places before recovery can even start.

Last edited:
I worry though that in a few years when the Mule Deer herd on private land recovers FWP will declare victory and we will be right back to 11,000 region wide doe tags and pounding public land long before there is a recovery.

There's an old saying in Montana politics "Forever is until next session."

Same goes with season setting. It's a never ending process and you will always have to maintain engagement, or accept the outcomes.

“It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.” Theodore Rex

Change is good here, but incremental change is just going to condense pressure further and further and we'll continue to run out of places for it to go.

We need blanket change, for both species.

Tell me what you'd do for whitetail.

Tell me what you'd do for whitetail.

I liked it when you wrote it then and I like it now. It seems like it would create more objective data points to see if it is making a difference than the current system.

This popped this morning.

I don’t fully understand why people want to give others accolades for doing their job. It’s what we pay them to do. It’s one thing if they went above and beyond to do something that wasn’t necessary. That’s not the case here…they were slow to react and basically just did what was necessary.

I don’t fully understand why people want to give others accolades for doing their job. It’s what we pay them to do. It’s one thing if they went above and beyond to do something that wasn’t necessary. That’s not the case here…they were slow to react and basically just did what was necessary.

I don't have any problem telling people when they do something good. This was a big step in the right direction, regardless of timing. Showing FWP that hunters are willing to give up opportunity for better management helps the agency in their decision making matrix.

honey, vinegar, and all that.

I don't have any problem telling people when they do something good. This was a big step in the right direction, regardless of timing. Showing FWP that hunters are willing to give up opportunity for better management helps the agency in their decision making matrix.

honey, vinegar, and all that.
I get what you’re saying, but if the animals are dead then there isn’t much “opportunity” to harvest them. So hunters aren’t giving up opportunity here. They are saving them money and time is all.

I do appreciate FWP actually recognizing that deer numbers are down and making a good management decision.

I get what you’re saying, but if the animals are dead then there isn’t much “opportunity” to harvest them. So hunters aren’t giving up opportunity here. They are saving them money and time is all.

I do appreciate FWP actually recognizing that deer numbers are down and making a good management decision.

Opportunity isn't necessarily defined by the number of critters in MT, it's defined by the fun ticket in your pocket. Deer are a renewable resource, luckily.

Ben we have been here before. In 2012 there was a room full of hunters in miles city pleading with fwp to do something to help our deer and antelope. 2 years later they finally did. Before numbers recovered they were issuing 11k doe tags. Numbers on public never came back. I’m fairly new to the game but this cycle has been happening long before I started paying attention. It will be interesting what things look like in 5 years, I know what my bet is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back