Caribou Gear Tarp

Fur clothing?

Firedude

So, beaver fur is down this year. I've been doing nuisance trapping and have a pile of beaver. I'll be making some fur gauntlets and a hat. My question is how about a parka? I like hunting coyotes in January when the fur is nice but I'm tired of freezing when it's 10 below and I'm sitting on a caller for 45 minutes. Why 45? There have been lions shot in my are after my frozen arse gave up... So I want to stay sitting longer. Your thoughts? Ideas? Experiences with such heavy clothing?

If you have a good place to have it made, I think that it would be great. I had a hat and two pairs of gauntlets made some years back and they are too warm for most of my activities. That coat would be awesome. I have never figured out why beaver hides don't generally sell well.

Sounds like a good idea to me, my southern blood would like to be wrapped in fur! I’ve got several beaver hides stretched and dried that I need to get tanned, I’ve thought about making a vest and gloves myself.

Have a look at the Inuit Anoraks that are generally made of seal fur. The one's I've seen in use were more like a hooded poncho of fur, and could be slipped on and off over top of other layers to account for activity level. Generally during exertion, a breathable cloth anorak would be used, but when sitting or riding on a snowmachine etc, the fur one is used. That would be pretty ideal for coyote hunting.

So, beaver fur is down this year. I've been doing nuisance trapping and have a pile of beaver. I'll be making some fur gauntlets and a hat. My question is how about a parka? I like hunting coyotes in January when the fur is nice but I'm tired of freezing when it's 10 below and I'm sitting on a caller for 45 minutes. Why 45? There have been lions shot in my are after my frozen arse gave up... So I want to stay sitting longer. Your thoughts? Ideas? Experiences with such heavy clothing?
For predator hunting you may be on to something. Get a parka and pants made of Beaver fur. You will no longer need camoflag as you are now dressed as the bait. 🤔 You can move as much as needed as you are the attractant that the distress calling is coming from. A little Beaver Castor smell for down wind approach and I think you have everything covered.

I wish I had a beaver fur jacket. I would wear that everywhere. lol

Once day, when I am an old man I will wear a beaver fur hat...all year...just because I can...lol

I've read that coyotes are the only furs that are being bought. I've read that with North American Fur Auctions going out of business it has really caused issues with selling furs.

I've read that coyotes are the only furs that are being bought. I've read that with North American Fur Auctions going out of business it has really caused issues with selling furs.

Yep... fur isn't exactly a money maker this year with NAFA going out. But last year I sold 2 coyotes shot in January in my area for $140. The rest moved around $80 but they were shot early. It doesn't take that long to stack up a pretty healthy hunting fund at those prices when you're killing 2 or 3 a day. Although some of our high maintainance brethren will see wearing fur as a hunting fashion faux pas, I don't care if it means more high dollar fur on the stretchers. I was just curious about if it would be to much heat or other problems would arise.

Are private buyers allowed to buy pelts? I'd like to mess around with making some items out of fur but don't really want to invest in trapping.

Wait, you can’t get beaver fur in kuiu or Sitka?!
I like Kuiu and Sitka! I got to borrow a sitka jacket a couple years ago. It was great. They're actually great products. There is a good reason it's popular. I just don't have the cash to buy a whole set. But I have a stack of beaver fur and some leather tools... so.... a rednecks gotta stay warm!

Last edited:
I've seen a beaver hat lined with Sitka. Looked hand made.
Schreech.... Wait. That's a fantastic idea! I've been freezing my anatomy off bit by bit for years. My fat is broken and doesn't keep me warm at all. I'm getting excited now thinking about ice fishing, coyote hunting, wolf, lion, and steelhead fishing in January and it will just be my mountain man looking self in sitka lined fur and guys with GOOD gear!

Are private buyers allowed to buy pelts? I'd like to mess around with making some items out of fur but don't really want to invest in trapping.
Absolutely. So in Idaho you have to have a license to buy and deal raw stuff. But anybody can buy processed skins. Check your game dept and shop away.

@Firedude I didn’t mean it to look like I was downing Sitka and Kuiu, I know it’s good stuff. It was humor directed at the high maintenance crowd who wouldn’t wear any items that didn’t match their camo. I know people who wouldn’t have wanted to be seen with me today, I was wearing 3 different brands at once!

@Firedude I didn’t mean it to look like I was downing Sitka and Kuiu, I know it’s good stuff. It was humor directed at the high maintenance crowd who wouldn’t wear any items that didn’t match their camo. I know people who wouldn’t have wanted to be seen with me today, I was wearing 3 different brands at once!
Gotcha. I to am a fan of the gear. I'm also not a fan of the eye rolling '' I wear blah blah brand cause it's the latest greatest thing all the cool kids are wearing." Guys, as few as there are.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back