Fun with yard pronghorn!

Bob-WY

We have a bachelor group that wanders our neighborhood (all houses on 2 acre lots). They seem to like our weed pile that is right behind the archery target. Funny seeing them stand there!

I've had 2 "fun" events with them - aside from just watching them:

1) Came home one day and I hadn't cleaned up weeds from teh day before when I just tossed them over the garden fence. The nicest buck was there chowing down. Because of the layout, I figured I could get the bow, out the back door and use the green house as a wall and see how close I could get. I had no intention of shooting him, but wanted to know I could if I chose! When I got to the corner of the greenhouse I could hear him chewing, I drew, side-stepped half a step and had him broadside at 15 yards. I could have shot.

2) Yesterday, same buck (I think) was chowing down on the pile from pulling the gardens up, enjoying the tomatoes, beans, squash etc. I had my decoy in the house to fix a leg post and wondered what he'd do when he saw it. I went out the back holding the decoy covering my upper body, so the "antelope" was floating about 3 feet off the ground. At 25 yards he looked, went back to eating. I slowly moved in, he would glance occassionally. I was at about 8 yards when he looked and I think saw my head and bolted. Was fun!

Neighbors say "just shoot him", which feels weird, they say "it's wyoming, go for it"

Last edited:
We have a bachelor group that wanders our neighborhood (all houses on 2 acre lots). They seem to like our week pile that is right behind the archery target. Funny seeing them stand there!

I've had 2 "fun" events with them - aside from just watching them:

1) Came home one day and I hadn't cleaned up weeds from teh day before when I just tossed them over the garden fence. The nicest buck was there chowing down. Because of the layout, I figured I could get the bow, out the back door and use the green house as a wall and see how close I could get. I had no intention of shooting him, but wanted to know I could if I chose! When I got to the corner of the greenhouse I could hear him chewing, I drew, side-stepped half a step and had him broadside at 15 yards. I could have shot.

2) Yesterday, same buck (I think) was chowing down on the pile from pulling the gardens up, enjoying the tomatoes, beans, squash etc. I had my decoy in the house to fix a leg post and wondered what he'd do when he saw it. I went out the back holding the decoy covering my upper body, so the "antelope" was floating about 3 feet off the ground. At 25 yards he looked, went back to eating. I slowly moved in, he would glance occassionally. I was at about 8 yards when he looked and I think saw my head and bolted. Was fun!

Neighbors say "just shoot him", which feels weird, they say "it's wyoming, go for it"
Pics?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back