fun learning wyoming fishing

Bob-WY

wife and I are into our first WY fishing season, we don't ice fish.

We've done some stream fishing casting g small spinners into calmer holes and had decent luck with 6 to 10 inch brookies.

With ice out last night we went to a reservoir and tossed spoons, spinner, crank baits and finally got lucky with flattish. Caught 2 rainbows, kept one lost one when it pulled the hook out of the lure body, which was probably 50 years old.

We have a 10 foot 2 person boat we will push around with electric trolling motor.

I am clearly setup for NH smallmouth so trout, walleye, muskie and pike all new to me

We are setup with 6 lb test on 6 foot spinning roads

What advice would you give to move up the learning curve?

Things like jigs are foreign to me

Last edited:
I haven't spin fished for trout in a long time as I have taken up fly fishing since college, but when I was a kid we discovered that the Teeny Wee Frog from Rebel Lures was really effective for trout. It has always been a family story since my dad was convinced it wouldn't work, but my sister and I wanted to try it. The first hole we fished a fat rainbow engulfed it, and that was that. This was on a creek in the foothills where the trout aren't too picky but are generally very spooky. There also isn't much in the way of frogs or toads around, but it still worked well. I don't remember us ever trying it on a small brookie stream, and I know we never tried it on water like the North Platte, so I don't know how widely useful it is. But it was a lot of fun.

I don’t have much experience spin fishing for trout, but I’d suggest finding some medium sized streams to learn on. Those are the places I like taking buddies who are learning. The fishing is typically a little more consistent because the fish aren’t as pressured as they are in larger rivers and lakes and they typically can’t be as picky on the smaller waters.

chuck a panther martin on the streams. You will catch them. Did this with my dad our first year out to Montana on the Gallatin. Got some funny looks from the fly guys lmao.

On lakes I have had good luck trolling flatfish and rapala husky jerks, we actually row troll and do not use a motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back