Yeti GOBOX Collection

Damn it's hot, but fishing has been good!

jrabq

The monsoon has been absent and we just had a stretch of 100+ degree heat in NM, miserable. Despite the heat fishing has been surprisingly good at my favorite lake. I normally don't do much fishing in July, but our idiot governor had most of the lakes shut down in May so I got a late start (we are still living with some stupid restrictions like opening gate at 7AM, and only open 2 or 3 days a week). Went Sunday and had a great day with the smallmouth bass and walleye limit (5 each), threw back another 10 or so, my best trip of the year. Biggest walleye at 25" and another at 21, both tasted great! I was fishing from a kayak and it took some doing to get the big one in the net, big relief when I finally got it done.

Other 3 walleye were smallish; 14-16", Bass were in 14-17" range. One bass on topwater but all other fish caught on perch colored shad rap, mostly in 2-6 ft of water. Decent bite all morning and caught several fish near noon. The water is still a bit murky, which I'm guessing is why they are still biting despite the heat and sunshine, and in shallow water.

Day started out with a bit of luck, the first bass I "caught" threw the lure when he jumped, but he landed in the kayak, I'll take it!

20200712_184034.jpg

That's a great day on the kayak! Using the net is a skill! Especially while kayaking.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back