Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Fun hunt with my old buddy

sbhooper

I had a very fine hunt with a friend of mine that has a section of land south of me a few miles. He is 76 and has a hard time doing some physical things. We went to sit in his blind on Monday and a two-year-old buck came in. He only wants a big one, as he does not like the meat, so told me that I could shoot if I wanted to. I shot him.

Last night we went back again hoping that one of his big camera bucks would come in. We had a doe and fawn show up late and they would not leave. It was getting close to last light and he had unloaded his gun, getting ready to go home.

I told him that I glassed up two more deer coming up the canyon. All of a sudden, a big buck stepped in behind the doe and he was headed our way. He reloaded his gun and got ready. Suddenly, another big buck came into the picture and chased the doe up the hill. The first buck continued on and went right to where we had hoped for. Alton was set up and the buck turned broadside. He said that he could not see the deer and I kept trying to explain where he was. The buck literally was broadside at 140 yards for over a minute and all the time I was trying to communicate with his deaf butt without getting too loud!

The buck turned and headed over the hill and I thought this buck was gone. All of a sudden, the buck turned broadside again and FINALLY Alton could see him. He pulled the trigger on his BLR .243 and the buck dove over the hill. The Remington Core lokt found the heart and the buck only went about 40 yards. Fantastic hunt and the biggest white tail that I have ever been a part of. I rough scored him at 166 today. I am doing him a skull mount, as he did not want to mount him. Fine experience.

I don't know why I ended up with a double image, but oh well!

1DB34249-3DAB-4AD5-8D9E-25DEBAA067D4.jpeg1DB34249-3DAB-4AD5-8D9E-25DEBAA067D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe you should hold out just a bit longer next time!?! Haha. Great buck. Sounds like good neighbors having fun.

Great buck! Barn door is open😉
Yep.lol. I think the zipper is broken, but those are his hunting pants.. 😁 I rough scored him at 166. He has killed some other good bucks on his place, but this is the best by several inches. His son shot a nice 4x4 white tail,over the weekend and had to go back to Omaha. I am glad that he did, or I would not have had the opportunity to be part of this.

Cool story...my hearing is already bad and my eyesight is not getting better. I hope someone has the patience to yell softly at me when I'm in my 70's :D

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back