Full moon deal breaker?

SoTex

Myself and a few buddies will have 4 preference points and are planning on entering the draw for Wyoming elk 2015. With all the research we've been doing I was leaning towards unit 81 since it has an opening date of 9-26 with no prior archery hunting so the unit should be fresh. I liked the idea of hunting a rifle unit and maybe catching the tale end of the rut even though I know it will be crowded. I plan on getting in deep and being there early to negate the crowds. I then checked the lunar chart and learned the full moon is set for 9-28. With my past experience hunting around a full moon is usually bad as the animals feed at night but admittedly I don't have a whole lot of mountain hunting experience.

Other units we've been looking at are 83, 51 and maybe 25 and soon as I find a unit I like I find its mostly wilderness land. Unless this hunt turns out to be awesome I'll probably not hunt Wyoming and stick to Colorado from now on do to the Wilderness Land restrictions to non residents.

You do know that 81 is a general tag that only takes a point or 2 to draw right? Also, 81 does have an archery season prior to it. Or at least it did last year from September 1-25.

As for the moon phase part, I don't really know. Some guys say that is a big deal but I don't really have any good experience to say it does or doesn't make a difference.

vdo84 is correct in that you wouldn't even apply for 81, but rather for the general tag that 81 is included in. He is also correct that there is a special archery season from 9/1-9/25 with the proper $30 archery permit that's required to hunt in September with archery equipment. As far as the moon goes, I'd rather hunt either side of the new moon, but you do what you have to do if the season is open and that's the only time you can hunt.

Thanks for the responses and I am aware that 81 is a general season but I was not aware of the prior archery season not that it matters all that much.

Are the wilderness lands boundaries marked fairly well? We need to make a decision by the end of month and will continue to look at all options.

Thanks again for any advice.

I try to avoid full moons. But I have used them to my advantage as well by going what the elk do and move at night. I have hiked in the moonlight and worked in on the bugles to get close and sacked out under a tree waiting for morning. I have also drove around after dark and got out and did multiple short hikes blowing a bugle to see if there was a response to my call and marking spots on my GPS. If you are ambitious it can work in your favor because they will be vocal.

The Rut trumps a Full Moon anytime! The two falling at the same time is what can create a rutfest! It's the best elk hunting & vocalization you will ever experience. When a Full Moon falls in-between the 12th of Sept to end of month or there abouts I want to be there! (grin) There's nothing like it!

ElkNut1

I find hot and dry weather patterns to be a lot more of a hindrance than the moon phase.

I've not seen anything personally that effects my hunting that has anything to do with moon phase. I never pay attention to it at all. It is convenient if the moon is out when we start walking at 4am so no need to use headlamp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back