Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Frustrated Wy Elk Hunter

windpowerpro

I moved SE Wyoming two years ago for a job and immediately realized the potential of the lifestyle that I would prefer to have. One that is living on game meat as much as possible. And as I am sure most of you know, in Wyoming that could easily be year round. I only archery hunted last year, it was my first year hunting here. Figured it would be more of an extended scouting trip than anything. This year I drew a Cow/Calf Elk and bought a general tag as well. So here I am. It's 4 days to the end of the General Elk season in the Snowy's, the best hunting closest to my house, and I am skunked so far. I feel like I have basically been doing a lot of armed hiking. I went out yesterday, was in my area, 12, well before sun up and was ready. I put the miles on my boots and found no sign, tracks, or anything. It is like they were abducted by UFO's or something. The weather has been from snowing to 65 in a week and I think they are either hiding in the willows on the private land to the North, or down in the bottom of the earth somewhere. But I cant seems to find them. I have until Nov. 14th to fill my cow tag, but it doesn't look too good at the moment.

So here is where I am at. I didn't grow up hunting, nor did I have anyone to teach me the finer points of hunting in general. I am totally self taught through reading and what feels like bad practical application. And to up the difficulty level I am doing it self guided, DIY, public land hunts. I know I have to be doing a bunch wrong, so where do I learn? I feel like I may know a few basics (play the wind, get out and walk the miles, higher in heat, lower in cold, be up way before the sun and stay until it disappears). But I think I would have a much better chance if I could get some pointers maybe. I just don't know what to do. I would also like to try and connect with other local hunters, maybe someone or a group to hunt with. I think the best way to learn is to be around guys that have at least had success. So if there is anyone in the Laramie/ Cheyenne area that would be willing to at least help me with some pointers, and of course anyone on this forum- I more than welcome any input or constructive criticism. Thanks for listening.

I know your pain; I didn't grow up hunting either and moved to Bozeman, MT after college. I was lucky enough to have a friend who is an accomplished hunter show me the ropes last season (my first season), but I have been trying to find my own areas this past summer and fall and not rely on his honey holes. It is down right difficult, frustrating, and discouraging. Yesterday was the rifle opener here in MT and I was hiking off trail at 4:30 up a very large main ridge that I was sure should hold some elk; after 8-10 miles round trip and 4000 ft elevation gain I found only a handful of assorted elk, deer, and moose tracks that were all at least a couple days old.

I've come to the conclusion that there are just way too many variables (weather, public land pressure, wolves, etc.) to be able to predict where the elk will be. I too have read all the advice books on elk hunting - it is very frustrating when you are doing everything you can, but still can't even locate animals. My only strategy is to continue exploring new areas, covering as much nasty ground as I can, until I locate elk. At least with snow on the ground it is easier to tell where animals have bedded in the past, where they've fed, and how they get from area to area.

I don't know if this is encouraging at all, but just keep getting at it. Perseverance does pay off...eventually. If nothing else you are developing mental toughness by pushing on even when you are so frustrated and discouraged that you want to say screw it all. I also have to remind myself that I'm not entitled to anything; I don't deserve an elk or a deer or a squirrel just because I put in the time and effort. An animal doesn't owe me its life. When I think about hunting in this context it reminds me that I need to be grateful for the health that gets me up and down the mountain, for my freedom to carry a bow/ rifle, for the fridge and freezer full of food back home, etc. It just helps put things in perspective for me. It is very easy for me to get discouraged when I look on this website and see all the great animals and read the exciting stories, but, at the end of the day, most of us have very good/ comfortable lives compared to much of the world. I know this isn't the "how-to" advice that you are looking for so hopefully someone with a lot more experience can give you some practical tips.

I really, really hope that your hard work pays off for you this season and realize that you aren't the only "rifle-toting-hiker" out in the hills this fall.

I definitely agree there is no substitute for time in the field, but I also know how frustrating it can be by learning from those painful and sometimes frustrating experiences. That being said, getting an experienced hunting partner is a definite plus, but probably doesn't help right now. Have you looked into any basic elk hunting books? They will give you some direction or tactics to at least maybe make it feel like you aren't just taking your gun for a walk. Elk Hunting the West is not a bad one for a starter.

It's not usually like this we've been up in area 6on the hill killing ourselves and can't buy a break. I know the snowies got some serious snow early as did the madres which brought the elk down early then the hunters pushed them farther down to private now as the snows melting they have gone higher again ..... It's a weird year for sure.... Keep your head up if your out of the truck walking your doing more than 95% of the people in the snowies sooner or later it'll happen

I used to spend a lot of time hunting all the areas in the Snowies except 11. Could never draw the tag. 9 was my least favorite elk area and 12 was right behind it. I did spend a lot of time hunting the Cedar Ck area for deer. I saw a number of bulls over the years, but they were always raghorns or spikes. All of those general license area's have a ton of hunters and not very good harvest stats. I suggested to a biologist one time that they should go limited quota in each area and be liberal with the cow tags if they needed to control numbers. I was promptly advised those areas are managed strictly for opportunity. I kinda figured that opportunity was for the G&F to maximize profits...

Huh....I went out for one day close to the area you're talking about and got on a group of 16. Didn't bag one, but that's hunting. (and I don't know what i'm doing either lol)

1. Get away from the roads
2. Glass (let your binos/spotting scope do the leg work, instead of your legs. Get high, locate, make your move)
3. Get lucky
4. be in great shape

Do you have a general tag? If so you'd probably do better in 13 or 110.

Initially, many years ago as I began hunting elk, I thought it was a spoof and that elk were mystical creatures. It was only after learning more about their habits, scouting, and burning alot of boot leather did I find success. Each season as the quest for the elusive wapiti ensues, I begin "paying my dues" ... that is spending time in the field, on the mountain, up the trails, wherever they might be, until they are found.

Just don't give up! Don't stay in the same area if you cover it and cannot find any sign. If there is snow on the ground, then it is a no-brainer. No sign-no elk-leave the area. Try high to the heavy snow and then work your way lower until you start seeing sign. The snow will put lots of them at the same elevation, so if you start seeing tracks, you will probably find lots of them.

Elk country is big and there cannot be an elk by every tree. They are frustrating and elusive, but doable with hard work.

Except for first and last light. Stay on top of the ridges to maybe 1/3 way down either side in the thick cover. Spooked elk will not be out long in the light and they like the tops of ridges for the breezes. If you are just going for a walk down the middle of valleys, you will not see many during the day even if they are there.

Good luck. Remember, "It's not over til it's over"!

I agree with JWP58: "Get away from the roads." That's a good start.

If you're interested in a good book to help you develop your elk hunting ability, my favorite is Hart Wixom's classic "Elk and Elk Hunting." It's a great resource, and can be found on Amazon.com.

You might also try connecting with a local wildlife biologist concerning where the find em' and when. The local fish and game department may be able to put you in touch with one.

Finally -- keep at it. Elk hunting is hard, and it typically takes guys years to put together the combination of skills and knowledge of a hunt unit to be successful year after year.

You'll get there if you don't quit. Best of luck.

Optics are your best tool get up high and glass hard it helps to have a buddy or two more eyes. It sounds like if you could find the cows you should be able to get a shot. Good luck and never give up.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back