Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Frozen Feet - Suggestions Needed

Wild Bill

Hey all,
It seems like whatever I do I can't keep my feet warm while sitting on my deer stand. Just last night I left my stand with what felt like wood blocks where my feet used to be. It was only 31 degrees.
I feel like I've tried about everything under the sun and still haven't found a way to keep my feet warm. I'm talking I've tried all sorts of different boots from uninsulated boots to pac boots with both thick socks and thin socks, liner socks, wool and synthetic material. I've tried rubber boots, such as 1600g Lacrosse Alpha Burly Pros. I've hiked in to the stand in thin socks and tennis shoes and switched to dry socks and boots. I've tried sitting. I've tried standing. I wiggle my toes. I loosen my laces for circulation. I've worn boots a size bigger for more air space. I've tried the stupid foot warmers. I have tried putting antiperspirant on my feet to keep them from sweating.
What am I missing here? Am I just cursed? It's not like my entire body if frozen, just my feet. Obviously, this is not an issue for me on more active hunts when I'm hiking more. I have good quality gear, Schnee's, Lacrosse, SmartWool, etc., and am not afraid to spend some money to stay comfortable.
Anyone have any tips or tricks to share? I don't want to lose my feet to frostbite, but if I start getting daylight pictures of a certain buck I just might.
Thanks in advance.

Maybe try some electric boot heaters, hotronic or similar.

Make sure your socks are dry. Don’t get them sweaty during the drive. Don’t wear your boots while driving.

I deal with this off and on myself. Sometimes my feet are cold on the truck ride out to my hunting spot. I've had really good luck with Muck Arctics if I am not going to be very active. Gotta keep them on the boot dryer before you put them on though. If you are sitting for 4 hours or less and you have decent circulation you aren't going to lose any toes.
If all else fails drag a -30 degree sleeping bag up there with you, take your boots off and crawl in.

My hunting buddy tried a pair of rechargeable heated socks this year and says they worked great. I believe they were from an outfit in MN.

I wear silk sock liners and one to 2 pair of Redhead brand "last hunting socks you'll ever need" socks. For temps lower than 40, I will wear insulated boots with those hot toe stick on things on top of my toe and under my toes. That usually works for me. If you have already tried something like that you might need to go with electric heated socks/shoes.

Try the vapor barrier military boots. ie Mickey Mouse boots or bunny boots. They are the only thing I have found that keep my feet warm if I am sitting still.

I have never found anything. It's a losing proposition if I can't hike around a bit from time to time.

Here's a couple of ideas though.

Or you could change into these once you get up into your stand.

how about down camp booties? Western Mountaineering and Feathered friends make a couple of different weights, I've used these hanging out on climbing trips down to -30 or so, as long as its not wet and you aren't walking much in them they are the equivalent of a sleeping bag for your feet, plenty of room to put a warmer in too...

Another vote for Arctic Shield Boot covers. I wear either 200 gram or 400 gram insulated boots, but don't put them on until I'm ready to leave for my stand then I try not to walk too fast and get over heated. I put on the arctic shield boot covers as soon and I get settled at the stand. This has worked down into the low teens for me.

I wear silk sock liners and one to 2 pair of Redhead brand "last hunting socks you'll ever need" socks. For temps lower than 40, I will wear insulated boots with those hot toe stick on things on top of my toe and under my toes. That usually works for me. If you have already tried something like that you might need to go with electric heated socks/shoes.
I use the toe heaters a lot. One thing I heard about last season that would specifically apply to treestand hunting is to keep your toes off of the bottom of the stand. I guess the cold will transfer from the metal to your boots easily so a blanket or carpet between your feet and the stand helps. I haven't tried it yet but I bought a cheap camo fleece blanket at WalMart to try out. I also do the anti-perspirant thing and I think it helps a small amount.

When I used to sit in a standd I used the Thermacell Insoles that you charged and heated. They worked great.

Keep your boots inside overnight so they’re 70 degrees when you head out to the stand. I think that’s an old skiers trick - @wllm1313?

Electric warmers/socks can work but the things seem to break relatively quickly with respect to the cost. Maybe they’re better now.

Also, when using the toe/foot warmers, put them on top your toes, not underneath. Good luck.

I use rubber boots for the scent aspect, but if warmth is top priority, good pack boots are the way to go.

I like my "Mickey Mouse" army surplus boots when it's wicked cold, but those are usually only worn ice fishing or when one stand at Zero or below, anything 0-30 above, I'd wear rubber boots with 1400gr insulation and quality wool socks, warmer than that I like uninsulated Grange boots and I'd tailor my sock choices for the temps, with a liner sock as a base

Keep your boots inside overnight so they’re 70 degrees when you head out to the stand. I think that’s an old skiers trick - @wllm1313?

Electric warmers/socks can work but the things seem to break relatively quickly with respect to the cost. Maybe they’re better now.

Also, when using the toe/foot warmers, put them on top your toes, not underneath. Good luck.

I use rubber boots for the scent aspect, but if warmth is top priority, good pack boots are the way to go.
Definitely, and make sure they dry out over night.
And I agree I think the tech has improved over the last 15 years... my first two pairs I only got a season out of and then was done with them.
My mom has had her current pair for 4 years.

I have hunted whitetails out of a stand for 36 years in MN. I have two ideas that are not mentioned above.

1. this could be a circulation issue that starts with your seat. Is there something (like a bar across the back of your legs) preventing good circulation down your legs? Take a good long look at your chair. Maybe add one of those cushiony seats. If you have some circulation restriction from the seat, that can mean cold feet no matter what footwear you have.

2. Wear gaiters. You would be amazed how much cold air comes in your pant legs. Gaiters stop that.

If nothing works....buy beef? J/K!

Try the vapor barrier military boots. ie Mickey Mouse boots or bunny boots. They are the only thing I have found that keep my feet warm if I am sitting still.

^^^ THis; if I'm going to sit in a stand all day, and its going to be 35 or lower, this is what i have to wear otherwise my feet get cold easily too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back