Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fronting Tag Fees for New Mexico Elk?

drthornton

How much difference, if any, do you guys think fronting tags fees for Elk in New Mexico will make to the draw odds?

Last year when they required fronting fees for Sheep and such, they dropped by around 50%. I don't think it'll make as big a difference with Elk, but I think it will make some.

I personally think total entrants will decrease by around 20%.

One thing I am concerned about is that if people have to front money they may be more apt to apply for those premium areas thus not increasing odds for those areas we would all like to draw.

Thoughts?

This certainly applies for Deer and Lope too but I am not applying in NM for those so I have not done much research.

I was thinking along the same lines.
10-15% decrease in app.s, with more people putting in for premium areas on all three choices.

Do you think the RIFLE vs ARCHERY percentages will change ?

It doubled the odds for sheep last year, or close to it. But that was $3000 but still, 50% is a lot

I agree with Scmalts that a 50% reduction still has long sheep odds. I went ahead and sent my application in, who knows...someone will get lucky.

I think the elk odds will improve, but not dramatically. The current economic conditions have also caused some attrition in the number of applications. If you are flexible with the unit and weapon type you should have a decent shot to land a tag.

I would say it will help the odds... but who would be foolish enough to say such things on the internet to encourage the masses to apply. Why would I do that. I won't.

The odds will be worse, give up, get out of the game. Go to colorado, they have a dink elk behind every tree just west of Montrose.:rolleyes:

I would say it will help the odds... but who would be foolish enough to say such things on the internet to encourage the masses to apply. Why would I do that. I won't.

The odds will be worse, give up, get out of the game. Go to colorado, they have a dink elk behind every tree just west of Montrose.:rolleyes:

Good point! Not to mention the easy cow tags and the trout fishing. Certainly a much better deal

As as a CPA, I am giving this free financial advice:

Don't apply. New Mexico is on the verge of bankruptcy, and if you don't draw, rather than sending you a refund, they will probably be like California and send you an IOU that is of no value. ;)

How's that for a vicious and unsubstantiated rumor for the self-serving purpose of making my draw odds even better?

Terrible moisture this year. The droought will significantly reduce antler growth. Probably be a spikes only season.

If I were you, I would wait until after the draw, as so few people will be applying, there is a good chance that third season Gila archery tags will be left over and can be bought over the counter. No sense in risking your funds now, wait until June.

And remember, advice is worth what you paid for it. This advice was free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back