Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

From Billings, MT to Shanghai

GearJunky

Hello HuntTalkers,

I am currently traveling in Asia for work, and HuntTalk is one of the few forums I can access that is not blocked by the Chinese government (No Facebook or Instagram in this part of the world). I have been lucky with my job to be able to travel the world, and it has always been a great experience. Today I am sitting in the second largest building in Shanghai, dreaming about elk hunting, and sharing stories of Montana with an audience of Asian folks that cannot believe I hunt my own meat! The skies here today are partly cloudy, and the locals are so excited. They said it is the clearest the air has been in years (people are out taking pictures). By my standards it looks just like any normal partly cloudy day in Montana, but a great reminder to be thankful for what we have. I wish I could upload photo's of their faces as I showed pictures of the bull I killed last year, and explained how it can feed my family for a year!

Any other world travels out there?

I will try to upload some great photo's when I am back to my hotel. Downtown Shanghai looks like it is straight out of a StarWars movie.

Side note - The Chinese knock-off market is great, even for hunting gear! I found some Yeti tumblers yesterday ($3) and an EOTech Holographic sight for an AR ($30). No Guarantee on how well the EOTech sight will hold up, but the yeti tumblers are great! Currently Under Armor is the #1 bootlegged brand in China... I only wish I could find their full line of hunting gear for a few bucks!

I've lived/worked in Mexico and Finland.

Don't really like the idea of buying bootlegs/counterfeits, though.. You're supporting thieves, and government sanctioned ones at that..

Check out Hotspot Shield, it's a VPN that I have had great luck with in various cities in China as well as the Middle East. It should help with the blocked sites issues, but I think you'll have to get it outside of China.

You're lucky to have a "sunny" day in the middle of August. I'm rarely there when the air doesn't feel like you've attached your lips to an exhaust pipe.

25 million people in one city is hard to grasp! These pictures do no justice for any of it. The skyline is one of the best I have every seen.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The view out my window - Building as far as the eye can see. Shanghai (Pudong District)
attachment.php

That's not far from the hotel I'm usually in, the Sheraton. I think I'll be there next month. The sky is really clear for an August day, almost looks like you could breathe without the burnt wire taste in your mouth.

I case you didn't know, if you hit return a couple times between each picture you'll get some separation between each one when you post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back