Fresh rubs March????

Hilljackoutlaw

So while shed hunting yesterday I came across an area I have been thru many times throughout the year. There is a few rubs that have been there since October. But yesterday there was 3 new rubs that look to have been made within the last day or two on some trees a few feet away from the older rubs. I have been whitetail hunting for over 20 years and never seen this? Is it common or am I crazy?

I should note that these newly rubbed trees were shredded like it was a violent rub not just some head scratching.

Elk? They're still rubbing away on my brush line whenever they find a branch that suites them.

I see it pretty often when shed hunting kinda like they are trying to get the antlers of quicker. Just what my friends and I think?

I have found sheds at the base of rubbed trees before. Presumed the bucks were trying to rid themselves of the antlers with the rubbing motions.

Elk? They're still rubbing away on my brush line whenever they find a branch that suites them.

No elk in this area. Thought possibly moose. But upon closer inspection it's definitely whitetail rubs. One of my other first thoughts was maybe he was trying to knock his antlers off like u guys mentioned. Just didn't think they would rub so thoroughly if just trying to rid themselves of the antlers.

Yep, helps with the shedding process. Some are apparently harder to get rid of than others. Ive seen the same thing on a couple of occasions. From what I can tell, it is usually older deer that have more difficulty shedding.

I find sheds hanging in brush fairly regularly, that is the result of bucks rubbing trying to knock antlers off.

yep, had a similar experience a few years back i was hiking a new area and found a bunch of trees in one small area that an ELK was rubbing trying to loose his antlers, never found his antlers i was bummed, went back and put up a trail cam for awhile to try and get him on film , got elk on it but nothing with bone, and i was bummed again ... ha ha

Last edited:
I once found a shed on the ground at the base of a very recently rubbed willow. That convinced me they rub to shed.

Back