Caribou Gear

"Free" Toprut? Didn't see that coming

TOGIE

So onX Elite members get free toprut huh?

In my e-mail a few minutes ago:

1610053414043.png

I actually didn't see that coming.

For those that have used Toprut, is it pretty comparable to what you find on GoHunt? I've never used GoHunt, except for a free trial, and I've heard that it's all the same stuff that you get with Toprut.

I never planned to use GoHunt or Toprut, but I guess I'll be using Toprut now...

After how terrible OnX worked for me this past hunting season, they'll need to do a lot more to keep me as a customer. Toprut is a great value by itself.

I guess when go hunt started doing mapping, OnX had to find a way to keep customers from jumping ship. Competition is good for the consumers!

i was under the impression they were just gonna build in-house draw odds. but this route actually makes more sense

After how terrible OnX worked for me this past hunting season, they'll need to do a lot more to keep me as a customer. Toprut is a great value by itself.

what didn't work for you with onX this past year? out of curiousity

Like you, I just found this out an hour ago when I upgraded to Elite and an OnX notification advertised this as a benefit. Nice surprise.

Has anyone with the Elite Onx membership been able to figure out how to utilize toprut for free? I spent a few minutes trying to figure it out and was unable to.

Has anyone with the Elite Onx membership been able to figure out how to utilize toprut for free? I spent a few minutes trying to figure it out and was unable to.

it took me a minute, it was kinda dumb

get in onx while logged out and on there should be a member benfits link at the top, then click on toprut in there, then you login during that process to access the member benefit, just keep clicking away until it finds you at toprut

onx is kinda dumb that you can't be on the homepage while logged in, or if you can i haven't noticed how

what didn't work for you with onX this past year? out of curiousity
Constantly froze up my phone. I was having to do a restart on my phone multiple times every day. My hunting buddy was having the same problem, too. They also put that new 3D button in a horrible spot where I was constantly hitting it, and then getting the message that it doesn't work in Offline Mode.

The 3D button I can deal with. Constantly crashing my phone and having to wait for it to restart to verify property lines while I'm planning a stock I can't. If a company is going to charge what they do, and then renew automatically, their product is going to need to be better than this. It's too bad because I used them for years without problem. This year I'm going with Gaia.

I like this battle between GoHunt and OnX for my money. I'll go with whoever includes free mozzarella sticks first.

well and i just learned today through this process the whole gamut of retailers you can use discount codes for or sign up for special rates with elite memberships

have i been missing this all along? or did this just roll out too?

1610057964123.png

Constantly froze up my phone. I was having to do a restart on my phone multiple times every day. My hunting buddy was having the same problem, too. They also put that new 3D button in a horrible spot where I was constantly hitting it, and then getting the message that it doesn't work in Offline Mode.

The 3D button I can deal with. Constantly crashing my phone and having to wait for it to restart to verify property lines while I'm planning a stock I can't. If a company is going to charge what they do, and then renew automatically, their product is going to need to be better than this. It's too bad because I used them for years without problem. This year I'm going with Gaia.

i agree the 3d button location sucks

i'd try this toprut signup on your computer over your phone

it took me a minute, it was kinda dumb

get in onx while logged out and on there should be a member benfits link at the top, then click on toprut in there, then you login during that process to access the member benefit, just keep clicking away until it finds you at toprut

onx is kinda dumb that you can't be on the homepage while logged in, or if you can i haven't noticed how
Thanks, will give that a try

well and i just learned today through this process the whole gamut of retailers you can use discount codes for or sign up for special rates with elite memberships

have i been missing this all along? or did this just roll out too?

View attachment 169120
I received an email about this maybe a month or 2 ago. haven’t really explored it though.

The user experience on Toprut falls way short of GoHunt. Missing info on some species, antlerless tags, etc. Thankfully, outside of a few states with complex draw systems, it doesn't require much work to figure of draw odds. I think GoHunt or Toprut are better used as "cheat sheets."

Until GoHunt gets their maps figured out and a mobile app running, I'd stick with OnX/Toprut. I'm sure GoHunt will work on improving the maps but there's far too much missing info right now- no info to identify SWAs/WIA/HMA.

Been a subscriber to both, and they both are good service... for the person that has made a lot of applications already and had ideas where they are putting in Top rut gets you all you need in one place. Coupled with onx that's alot of value.

That said gonhunt is bit more comprehensive and feature rich. Now with their mapping there is lots of value there as well.

We are lucky to have so many choices at this point

I didn’t have an issue with the app crashing, but agree that the placement of that 3D button is really annoying.

Back