PEAX Equipment

"Free" Toprut? Didn't see that coming

TopRut works well and I’ve always used it because it’s like $20/yr

OnX wasn’t very good this fall. Ever since they added the 3D beta to the app it runs like garbage for me.

I didn't hunt this year so I haven't used OnX lately. That's troubling news on the app. I just wish the off line maps offered higher resolution. It's up to me to manage the space on my phone required by larger file sizes.

I didn't hunt this year so I haven't used OnX lately. That's troubling news on the app. I just wish the off line maps offered higher resolution. It's up to me to manage the space on my phone required by larger file sizes.
I assume it’s more about their data usage than yours

Constantly froze up my phone. I was having to do a restart on my phone multiple times every day. My hunting buddy was having the same problem, too. They also put that new 3D button in a horrible spot where I was constantly hitting it, and then getting the message that it doesn't work in Offline Mode.

The 3D button I can deal with. Constantly crashing my phone and having to wait for it to restart to verify property lines while I'm planning a stock I can't. If a company is going to charge what they do, and then renew automatically, their product is going to need to be better than this. It's too bad because I used them for years without problem. This year I'm going with Gaia.
I've had same problem, locks up my phone probably 50% of the time I use it. Very frustrating.

I had a onx locking things up a few times til they did another update but now I've had no issues at all with the app lately and its working great. Looks like I'll be buying the elite membership so I can use toprut. Definitely a whole lot cheaper than onx, beings I can get it with a discount thru guidefitter.

I had a onx locking things up a few times til they did another update but now I've had no issues at all with the app lately and its working great. Looks like I'll be buying the elite membership so I can use toprut. Definitely a whole lot cheaper than onx, beings I can get it with a discount thru guidefitter.
Keep an eye out for it on Camofire at $60 rather than $100. I actually was going to cancel mine to buy it through Camofire and they offered to just refund me the $40 which was very kind of them. The few times I've had to reach out to OnX they been a topnotch team.

Keep an eye out for it on Camofire at $60 rather than $100. I actually was going to cancel mine to buy it through Camofire and they offered to just refund me the $40 which was very kind of them. The few times I've had to reach out to OnX they been a topnotch team.
Okay thanks. I just looked on guidefitter and I can get the elite membership on there for $60 dollars also. I'm currently just the premium membership for just one state. Cuz I just hunt private in the other state I've hunted in. Sorry not trying to derail the thread to much here

I assume it’s more about their data usage than yours
but I can view high res on my computer at home. How is that more data usage for them than a one time download of the same high res images that I e-scouted?

but I can view high res on my computer at home. How is that more data usage for them than a one time download of the same high res images that I e-scouted?
Essentially it’s like asking to view one page at a time versus checking out the whole book.

Imagery servers are tiled so at a birds eye view it’s low res and a big area... so a small file, when you zoom in it’s a small area but high res so still a small file. When you download the data your asking for a big area at all resolution levels.

It doesn’t matter for the tracts, boundaries, paths, points because those are vector data.

Constantly froze up my phone. I was having to do a restart on my phone multiple times every day. My hunting buddy was having the same problem, too. They also put that new 3D button in a horrible spot where I was constantly hitting it, and then getting the message that it doesn't work in Offline Mode.

The 3D button I can deal with. Constantly crashing my phone and having to wait for it to restart to verify property lines while I'm planning a stock I can't. If a company is going to charge what they do, and then renew automatically, their product is going to need to be better than this. It's too bad because I used them for years without problem. This year I'm going with Gaia.
The app would freeze up constantly on my phone also. Funny thing was it didn't seem to start happening until about 2 weeks before deer season. I think it only froze my whole phone once or twice but I was constantly restarting the app to get it to work properly. If you hold your finger on the screen it shortcuts a waypoint and since the app was so slow it would do that all the time because it thought my finger was still on the screen.

The app would freeze up constantly on my phone also. Funny thing was it didn't seem to start happening until about 2 weeks before deer season. I think it only froze my whole phone once or twice but I was constantly restarting the app to get it to work properly. If you hold your finger on the screen it shortcuts a waypoint and since the app was so slow it would do that all the time because it thought my finger was still on the screen.

Mine froze a few times on my hunt in early November, but it wasn’t terrible. On my dad’s hunt a month later, it was nonstop. The kicker was that, while I was on that trip cussing at it, it auto-renewed and charged me $100.00. I was less than thrilled to get home and see that.

I had more issues with Onx this past season as well. Downloads wouldn't complete and then issues loading offline maps. Usually worked to force close the app and reopen so I didn't have to do the full restart. Also had the same issue as JDH of random waypoints adding when I didn't want them to.

Also had a renewal notification, so I renewed through the app which apparently used the google play store for payment. Which did not register with Onx customer service so they kept emailing me telling me to pay. Which was annoying.

I cancelled go hunt last month after having it a year and figuring out the state websites. I liked Onx for maps more than go hunts in comparison. Then I happened to find the Onx/Toprut deal by accident so signed up around a month ago. Probably going to stick with Onx for now, but will check out Gaia too.

now that all of you are talking about some buggy problems i'm realizing looking back that i kinda had them too

i'm remembering totally closing out and reopening the app a lot. benefits still out weighed the problems for me though i'd say. i'm sure it won't be a forever problem

i'm personally pretty happy about this toprut deal. i do like my own research and i had never planned on signing up for a draw odds service. but man, i see huge benefit in just a few clicks of a button knowing what like 10 units you can probably draw and then you drill down to the raw data from the states.

it's nice to get a birds eye view on units to consider early on the research, and that's hard to do with raw data, and was always the most time consuming i feel

Pretty cool. Toprut is no GoHunt. But then, Gohunt is no onx. For now, the bargain seems to be Onx/Toprut. I should probably have both but I can't bring myself to pay for 2 similar systems.

I had more issues with Onx this past season as well. Downloads wouldn't complete and then issues loading offline maps. Usually worked to force close the app and reopen so I didn't have to do the full restart.
This was my issue this season as well. I found it odd. That is not good.

Reactions: JDH
I have always just used hunterstrailhead, but now that TopRut is included with OnX I will give it a try this year.

OnX has worked well for me on personal account and work account. I only had an issue one time and it was because I was behind about 5 updates.

Back