NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Free public land maps site

Bambistew, that is a great website. However, I saw green shaded areas which depicted National Forest that are now private as a result of the land swaps in Gallatin NF, so wonder why the site has not updated for a long time. ????

Considering that it's USFS lands your referring to and the website being talked about is BLM, I'd say it's because the data hasn't gotten from the first to the latter. Or if did hasn't been updated. IMO/E I would be a bit cautious using BLM maps for USFS boundaries and vice versa. Updating of ownership on maps takes a LONG time in the BLM.

http://nris.mt.gov/gis/ownmaps.asp?

Another decent map site for MT anyway. Has private land ownership maps and public land maps as well. I'm not sure how long ago they were update as I have found some errors in owner names.

I like the geocommunicator site bambistew, thanks.

I was going to abbreviate your name but I haven't been here long enough to call anybody BS. :D

If you are really pushing the issue of BLM/private boundaries, I wouldn't take this info as gospel. Check with the local administering office, as I know there are errors with some of that data. But, it is a great resource for getting a general idea of the the amount and location of public lands.

Very cool site with lots of info. I wonder how often they update their info. I know some of the BLM south of Miles City is wrong since it was consolidated last year.

Very cool site with lots of info. I wonder how often they update their info. I know some of the BLM south of Miles City is wrong since it was consolidated last year.
IME, not terribly often. Lots of hoops to jump through to get things changed at that level.

Back