Found some baby flying squirrels...

RobertD

Power company came and took out two beetle-killed pines in my front yard this morning. My fiancée was given a box of baby flying squirrels by the power folks. Apparently they were nested in one of the dead pines.

She texted me at work to let me know that she felt obligated to rescue the little fellas but that she had already contacted our regional DNR office for information on who we can give them to. (I was proud of her for thinking to call them.)

We can't make the handoff until Friday because the person responsible for taking them is out of town. So she has built them a little fort in a box in my office (with the appropriate amount of heat, etc.) and has been giving them replacement formula with a syringe/dropper, with amounts based on an age estimate from a chart she found online.

They are very interesting. Apparently very common in our area, but I had never seen one before apart from one some boys I went to high school with had raised and kept in a large cage in their parents' kitchen. Attached are some photos.

Attachments

• 20211229_164801.jpg
    20211229_164801.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • 20211229_180451.jpg
    20211229_180451.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Very cool. The only time I’ve ever actually seen one is when they would occasionally get down the chimney of the house I grew up in. We would have to chase them around the house and try and catch them.

You throw them and they fly? Lol!
Strange being born in winter, but we just had 2 new White Doves
hatched. The leaves are still on the trees here in Phx. 💥

You throw them and they fly? Lol!
Strange being born in winter, but we just had 2 new White Doves
hatched. The leaves are still on the trees here in Phx. 💥
We have such mild winters here though, so it isn't too strange. We haven't even had our first true frost yet, red oaks and such still holding lots of leaves here too

We have them around here very cool animals. Kudos to you and your fiance for taking the time and effort to get them where they need to go.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back