Caribou Gear

Forest Service Issues ‘E-Bike’ Guidance

I used my ebike this season. They obviously have a huge advantage over walking and how far you can get in to places. I would much rather have a horse, but have nowhere to keep one, so in my opinion, this is a good option for the money/convenience.
I'm looking at getting one this year, any recommendations? thanks

I don't have a problem keeping them on motorized roads, but a dirt bike trail is still a motorized road that you can't take a ATV'S down and some of these dirt bike trails go for 20-30 miles, and I simply don't have time to spend 2 days hiking 20 miles like Brian Call or Ryan Lampers but I can ride a bike for an hour and go the same distance. This for me is a game changer, as for the e-bikes invasiveness how is it worse? They have the same footprint as a dirt bike way less capability to tear up the road, zero carbon emissions, and make hardly any noise, so how in what way do you think they are more invasive than a dirt bike or atv? I doubt you'll see anyone tearing up a mud puddle on an e-bike.
The reason those spots that are far back away from the trailhead are good is that they are far and hard to get to! If you and everyone else rides an e-bike over there they won't be full of elk and deer anymore. It's pretty simple.

I'm looking at getting one this year, any recommendations? thanks
I went with the Yamaha Moro after trying out every one I could find. I've been happy with it so far. Good luck in your search

The reason those spots that are far back away from the trailhead are good is that they are far and hard to get to! If you and everyone else rides an e-bike over there they won't be full of elk and deer anymore. It's pretty simple.
I agree. Pretty soon we're going to have personal electric drones that can fly us up a mountain with no sound, carbon emissions, or habitat damage, but should we allow it when they get here???

I must confess to not reading many of the posts, since an e-bike is not in my future. Partly, since owning three horses, makes me unable to afford an e-bike.:cool:

I don't mind them being on motorized trails, at all. I would have a big problem if they gain access to areas that presently do not allow motorized transportation. Presently, I avoid trails where mountain bikes are allowed. They just don't mix with horses, so I stay out of their way.

It was mentioned above that the reason hunting tends to be better farther from the trailhead. It is not because the habitat is better. It is because not very many people bother them if they are well back from a trailhead.

If you consider all of the various user groups lobbying for access to forest service land, it is very probable that wildlife generally will suffer, as will hunting.

Most of my hunting seasons are in the books, I hope that those just starting out get nearly as many wonderful hunting seasons that I have. A large aspect to making hunting special is some solitude. In my younger years, I walked. Now, I ride. If horses had come into my life sooner, I'd have ridden sooner. They are as good a hunting partner as a guy could want.

I'm temporarily residing in a cycle heavy community. My wife has dug into the road bike world along with her mtn biking enjoyment.
We did a cycle route recently and, ya know, if it gets people out from behind their desks... Maybe there's a quality value to this "e-bike" graduation as compound bows are to recurves.

I am on the fence for e-bikes and gated forest road, "non motorized". They are motors regardless what rationalization is used to claim they are not though the more I've discussed and pondered this issue, the more I find myself in favor of changing the authorized access means behind gated roads. "Non motorized and electric "x" hp maximum authorized".

People who ride these e-bikes are looking to get outside. They can be public land allies vs enemies. Most use it, not to reach a point to then, hike their arse off, rather to feel the wind and see the "wild" from their limited perspective.

If our objective is to limit access because we don't desire public access to preserve it for the few of us - seems a self inflicted detriment to bolstering public land support. And this is merely at the expense of people half ass riding electric assisted cycles on a gated road.

Meh, I understand we want to cling on to our personal access, as landowner's desire to curb corner crossing for their own gain though in this case, they're mostly people looking to experience our public land.

Meh, I know we hold hard core, stubborn-like opinions though... To some, that's their downfall, whether they acknowledge it or not.

Ramble over. Flame suit not needed.

There are numerous trails open to motorized trail bikes. Some of them open even during hunting seasons. They can use those to their heart's content.

The "average" e-bike user might not look at the e-bike as a means to get to a point, then walk...but without a DOUBT there are hunters that would be on it, as my father would say, like a duck on a June bug.

A large reason why elk congregate on private land is there are so few places elk can get away from heavy hunting pressure on public land. Opening up land to e-bike access will exacerbate an already bad problem.

Opening up land to e-bike access will exacerbate an already bad problem.
I agree. Then the motorcycle users will state their case. Then the ATV/UTV users at the 50 inch limit or whatever it is. Non Motorized isn't that hard to understand. mtmuley

This past spring bear season in Oregon was my first hunting season and I ran into a lot of hunters on e-bikes on private timber company property that explicitly say non-motorized use only... pretty disappointing to hike in 4 miles behind a gate only to come across people on motorized bikes. Is it so hard to follow the rules?

I originally argued they should be allowed, but have evolved my thinking on it (thanks @mtmuley!). My original thought process was focused on hunting and equity vs horses and pack animals. But I came to realize that the bigger impact would be from the non-consumptive user community. There’s something to be said for the work required to get deep into the back country. If all that opens up to e-bikes, then it’s no longer back country.

So I’m OK with some specific front country trails opening up, but not a blanket “e-bike is a bike” policy.

The compliance will hopefully be better than the ATV contingent on forest service land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back