Caribou Gear

Forest Plan Revision for Med. Bow N.F.

BuzzH

The comment period on the Revised Forest plan on the Medicine Bow-Routte NF is currently open through mid-April.

If you want to comment now's the time. Here is the link: http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/mrnf/resourcemgmt/mbrevision/involved.shtml

Anyway, heres my comments.

Concerning the current Forest Plan Revision for the Medicine Bow National Forest, I support an amended version of Alternative D.

The amendments I would strongly encourage the Medicine Bow National Forest to consider, in alternative D, is to add 31 roadless areas, as defined under RARE II to wilderness status to ensure the character of the Medicine Bow National Forest. I would also encourage the addition of 8 wild and scenic rivers and 9 Research Natural areas, as described in Alternative F.

I also recommend that the ASQ of Alternative D be lowered from 17.7 mmbf/year to 15 mmbf/year to closer adhere to a "non-declining even flow" of timber, as per the National Forest Management Act.

The issue of Off Road Vehicle Management should also be limited to no more than 50% of the forest being open to motorized recreation. Conflicts and abuses of ATV's continue to escalate each year, and ATV use can have severe and lasting negative impacts on natural resources. There is an immediate need to limit ATV use before it becomes an even larger problem for the Medicine Bow National Forest, than it already is. There is no need for ATV users to have motorized access to every last square inch of the Medicine Bow. Wildlife security, the spread of noxious weeds, illegal ATV use, and aesthetic values are greatly compromised because of increased motorized travel.

Thank you for your attention to this very important plan.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-09-2003 19:57: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Generally I stay out of forest management when I don't think I will ever visit that particular forest, but in this case, I may want to ride there some day. So I'll review this and comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back