Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

For those using an outfitter in 2020, will the current economics (markets and Covid19) cancel or force you to push your hunt?

For those using outfitters, are you cancelling or pushing your guided hunt?

• Able to pay my outfitter in full and going in 2020

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Concerned about the cash and may cancel or push to 2021

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Not happening this year - cancelling or pushing to 2021

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

ErictheRed

I've heard spring bear hunting is seeing many cancellations - obviously. What about those going on sheep, moose and other big $$ fall hunts? Are you canceling or pushing? I'm $30K in on an NWT multi-species hunt and I haven't decided what to do yet....my trip of a life time seems on the edge of a monster nightmare. This poll assumes travel restrictions are lifted by August.

I’ve never paid an outfitter and don’t really have intentions to. Closest I’ve come is paying a tresspass fee to cross private land to access public. What I’ll say is that the current economic free fall makes me more determined to DIY on public land.

When the World series of poker was big on tv (maybe it still is I dont have cable) if someone was that far into a hand of poker they called it pot commited. I would say 30k on a hunt is pot commited. Good Luck, enjoy and 5 years from now you wont be kicking yourself in the Arse for not going.

Kind of relevant to me, I'm a one man band fly fishing guide, and to a lesser extent hunting guide.
So today I cancelled ALL my bookings for the season until things change.
I will get no financial help from my Government for making this decision, I will just have to tighten my belt, in addition my wife has just lost all her work.
The upside, more time for fishing time for me, and if necessary I can pop out for a deer.
But at the end of the day we are healthy (fingers crossed) so are thankful for that, we feel for those who are in a worse position than us, health wise or financially.

For the fall hunts, simply to far out to tell what will be happening then.

Following everything closely. Spring bear was looking to be a challenge anyway with the coldest snowiest year in over 20 on the peninsula. Opens in May, that’s a little spooky right now.
June opener for Rainbows might be a little iffy. But looking at the most recent models, should all the self quarantine work, I’m hoping we are getting back to normal, at least domestically by June. So far no one has canceled their trip.
Fingers crossed, pray all our clients survive, Hope we will be allowed to open in time. Kinda spooky to own a business right now.

Travel between Canada and US bilaterally closed per internet website realdailywire:

“We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected. Details to follow!”

It’s going to be a slaughter. I expect at least 50% of all bookings to be cancelled. On the bright side this may be the year for you to do that dream hunt fish trip. Mid summer they’ll be offering half off two for one deals.

I agree there could be some good deals to be had...just not sure considering the circumstances I could feel good about using them to my advantage.

This will be my first year ever doing any type of pay to hunt so to speak. I committed to a Utah land owner mule deer tag, half is already paid. It’s not one of the ridiculous priced hunts but still has me nervous everything should be figured out by October but it’s still a huge what if. In the back of my mind, we all assume the dust will
Be settled by then but how can we know forsure? Like I said it’s not a $30k Hunt like some guys spend but the uncertainty has me nervous.

I haven't got a guided / outfitted hunt plan but I do have a 5 week trip planned for UT, CO, WY and ID. While not a $30k trip, its still a big amount of cash for me. At this stage I'm still hoping to travel but today NZ has started moving towards a full lock-down so who knows what will happen. At least with my plans i can make adjustments fairly easily, and cheaply, if necessary.

Last edited:
I agree there could be some good deals to be had...just not sure considering the circumstances I could feel good about using them to my advantage.

Like any business half of something is better then nothing. Look at it this way. You’ll be helping them maintain their livelihood right? They may not be reaping a profit but if they don’t go on their trips they risk going under completely and losing their outfitting licenses. If the guides don’t go out they’ll really suffer. It’s not a moral issue just economic reality.

I would stay in touch with your outfitter, make certain you understand refund policy on deposits and balance due. Is it possible to apply any deposit to next year, that kind of thing.
We’ve been talking to all of our clients, most seem optimistic this will resolve itself by summer. Certainly we are most concerned about June.
Thankful none of our guests or crew are ill.
I hope all ya’all stay healthy and can make your trip. Send pics when you get back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back