For the ATV users

RockyDog Quote: Anyways, i have no need to argue with Quadhunters, it looks like the FS shut down motorized travel in my favorite hunting area after this year anyways. YeeHaw.

No more reason to bitch then.

Oh yeah...................
smile.gif

Edited cuz my C refuses to work....
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-21-2003 18:37: Message edited by: MULE ]</font>

Nice thought, but we can't even get binoculars included under PR. The ATV manufacturers would go crazy if they heard that idea. People have been warning for years that the ATV crowd was cutting their own throat. They've had plenty of chances to lobby for more enforcement. They've never done anything to raise money to help with more enforcement. They've never lobbied for regulations to clarify what should be legal and illegal. They certainly haven't educated enough people about ethical riding.

More restrictions are the natural consequence of their apathy.

I agree that some ATV riders have runed it for thereself,thats a no brainer.
But so have some of the firearm owner's,poaching,shooting sign's,littering,trespassing,wounding game.
So the logacal thing to do is to BAN them?
The guy's I know use them on roads where they could get there pick-up,but the ATV saves wear on the truck,gets you there faster,and gives you more freedom to hunt different areas.
Steve and I often split up,or he goes shooting and I go fishing.
Restrictions arent a bad thing.
But I dont think we are going to see a totle ban on them,I think we will see that they have to stay on main trails and roads,so whats the big deal.
If someone is a road hunter im sure they were a road hunter before they bought an ATV.
My though is more power to them,it leave's more ground for me to hike in.
If they are illegal nail there butt to the wall,if they are legal LOL whats the beef?
That they aren't doing it just like you are?
They have there place and I think they are here to stay,as far as being restrictions ,well thats the world we live in all sports have restrictions and rules to follow.

Quote from Ithaca,

"The ATV manufacturers would go crazy if they heard that idea. People have been warning for years that the ATV crowd was cutting their own throat. They've had plenty of chances to lobby for more enforcement. They've never done anything to raise money to help with more enforcement. They've never lobbied for regulations to clarify what should be legal and illegal. They certainly haven't educated enough people about ethical riding."

More restrictions are the natural consequence of their apathy
Montana: Bob Walker

"Bob Walker has significantly contributed to trail management in Montana through work as head of the Information/Education Committee, which is a sub-committee of the interagency Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) Work Group in the state. Bob has spearheaded new ideas on OHV education in Montana that have significantly reduced user conflicts and improved OHV user ethics. He also was the main motivator for developing and funding through the recreational trails grant program, OHV Information/Education Trunks, which are being used as teaching aids to teach young middle school-aged kids proper OHV use and ethics. Nominated by John Favro, U.S. Forest Service, Northern Region"
http://www.nohvcc.org/flash/index1.htm
I found alot of good stuff these groups are working for.
OH unless Ithaca meant they arent doing enough to ban thereself ?
Again someone is full of chit.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-22-2003 10:58: Message edited by: Muledeer4me ]</font>

More restrictions are forthcoming in UT. They almost closed the limited entry elk hunt near Stawberry Res. a couple of years ago because of ATVs. I'm for the ethical use of them, legal is not always sufficient. It is legal to drive anywhere on BLM property, but I don't think that's right or necessary.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> if they are legal LOL whats the beef?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What John Marvel is doing is legal, what's the beef? See, there's a big difference in what is legal and what a person sees as being 'right'.

Though I'd love it if they were BANNED 100%, I'm happy to see key public land closed to ORV use. I recently sent a letter to the local USFS who is updating the travel mgt plan.. and the ATVers will be further restricted. They asked for it.
smile.gif

I would like to see them restricted big time during hunting season, Like used only on raods that are open for trucks. and if they are still abused close the area to all motorized travel. I think there are also alot of idiots that ruin good spots with 4+4 trucks.

but then have some areas open for them during the summer. I really enjoy tooling around and doing a little fishing and taking pictures.

I'd like to see a law passed that would outlaw atv's completely during any hunting season. If you are caught with a weapon and a hunting license good for the area you're in while on an atv, automatic $2500 fine and loss of the atv. If you're just out for a ride on your atv, go for it.

Its the only way to weed out the "few" bad atv slobs.

I would like to see Buzz's law passed. Except, the penalty is a bit liberal. If you are caught bugling from an ATV in a meadow then some 335-lb greaseball should get to use your ATV to run you down, then sodomize you wityh your Primos Monsterbull Grunttube. I only wonder if it would still be called sodomy in MuleDeer4Me's case?

p.s., i edited this because my s (_odomy)and my f (_uckin _at Quadhunters) keys refuse to work.
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-22-2003 14:58: Message edited by: RockyDog ]</font>

my problem with atv's hasnt been with hunters, at least not people who were hunting on them at the time.most of the public land here is national forests so anyone can be on it without any permits unless hunting.this year i had a group on quads running through the woods that passed me AND WAVED about 4 times in an hour( i was in a tree stand).i think they can be used as a tool but should not be allowed on public land during hunting season.might be an accident or something.

I wish I could afford to buy an ATV. When I could still pack in with all my gear on my back it was my preferred way to hunt. I even put up with the trails being totally chewed up by the horses packing in. If you didn't pack in before the horses, you had to parallel the trail cuz you couldn't walk it. AVT's are just another way to get there. I'm gonna buy one and use it just because I can go in debt to do it and for me it is necessary if I am going to hunt anymore.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-22-2003 16:04: Message edited by: brokfut ]</font>

I hear alot of complaints about atvs damaging trails and causing erosion. What about horses? A horse with shoes causes a lot more trail damage than an atv does. So if atvs are banned, why not close an area to horses too? I'm sure this wouldn't be a popular move in the western states, but it would put all hunters on a level playing field. And yes here in Pa the State Forest is closed to motorized vehicles and horses.

Doug, Why is it that I have an ATV and not horses... yet I have a real problem with ATV abuse and hunting areas being ruined by ATV slobs... BUT.. I don't have any problem whatsoever with horses?

I'd be personally happy if no horses were allowed into some places where I like to hunt most because there would be essentially nobody there. But let’s get real now.

In no way does horse access (horse hunters in general) ruin quality hunting. The erosion isn't the real issue.. it's the game harassment and wildlife impacts that come along with opening the floodgates for any jackass that can sit thier ass on a seat and buzz all over the countryside.

Horse trail "erosion" is something I get a real laugh out of. It's a favorite point for the ATV enthusiasts who like to whine about the well-deserved flack they get. It pretty much sums up the intelligence these folks have.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
I hear alot of complaints about atvs damaging trails and causing erosion. What about horses? A horse with shoes causes a lot more trail damage than an atv does. So if atvs are banned, why not close an area to horses too? I'm sure this wouldn't be a popular move in the western states, but it would put all hunters on a level playing field. And yes here in Pa the State Forest is closed to motorized vehicles and horses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug...here in Tn the state forests are also closed to any motorized vehicle and horses. They cannot leave the main road throughout the state forest boundaries.

Man the USFS operating in Idaho and Montana must do things alot dofferentlt than down here. Here, if you can legally(key word LEGALLY) drive your ATV on a road or trail then you can drive a pickup or jeep too. And in Colorado I bet you that is the main usage. The same places you can use a jeep.

So the problem here would be those that use them ILLEGALLY.

Now I have heard many stories on this board of people witnessing illegal ATV abuse.

But not ONE about a confrontation or reporting someone.

Ya see someone doing something illegal, do something or don't whine.

Ithaca,
Whats wrong with Idaho? Don't you have any law enforcement out there? In Pa, if you ride an atv on state forest or any private property that you don't have written permission from the property owner, then its an automatic fine. It doesn't matter who catches you...state or local police, game commision, forest ranger....you get fined. If you ride an unlicensed atv (yes its mandatory to buy a license in Pa) for any reason other than agricultural use on your own property, then you get fined. Believe me the law enforcement in Pa takes it very seriously if they get a report of someone illegally riding an atv. Maybe Idaho has a problem enforcing the law?
Doug

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back