? for people that use huntinggpsmaps

gbfan

Curious to know if you still buy all the paper topographic maps for new units you go and hunt or pretty much use the computer/gps for everything? I'm really just talking about units that you might be unfamiliar with/hunting for the first time, not for a unit you'd already have an accumulation of maps for. I like a paper copy and always pick up a national forest map with a larger scale but with the smaller scale 7.5min topo maps usually around $12-15 apiece just wondering if anyone out there still invests in them after using the huntinggps download. I imagine a few of you have a laptop that you take while hunting as well?

I use a bit of everything. Forest service maps, topos, GPS, iPhone. Delorme gazetteer as well. And of course google earth

I haven't bought a paper topo map in decades. I have my laptop with me in camp and it has everything on it from sat images, topo's, blm, forest service visitor maps, etc etc. I use a cpl different programs now, ArcGis uses Internet for topo and BLM servers and I also use TopoFusion to d/l topo's and sat images to my laptop so I don't need internet.
I have a cpl programs I also use to d/l topo and sat images to my GPS and bypass the Garmin limits.

I still like to have paper maps. I have the hunting gps chip, which is great for when you're looking at things on a small scale, but when it comes to finding certain roads and getting a feel for the area on a large scale I find it pretty handy to have a big map rather than a tiny screen.

Looking at the small screen on my Garmin 60CSX is ok for only so long. If I want to study maps, I like doing it on the computer or on paper. Computer is too heavy to carry in my pack, ;) although I'll occasionally have a laptop in camp, I find I'm too lazy to fire it up at night and would rather look at a paper topo. I've been ordering custom topos from mytopo.com the last few years. Really like the maps and they are printed on waterproof paper, allowing them to last longer than the traditional paper 7.5 min USGS quads. There are certain 7.5 min quads where I've bought 2 or 3 of the same map because I've worn them out through the years.

I'm with most people here. I like to have both. It's nice to have the paper map for the bigger picture on where I am and where I want to be and the GPS for making sure I stay within the boundaries.

I like to have both. Like others have said, looking at a little GPS screen can only be done for so long. If things aren't working out, it is really nice to be able to spread out a big map and have you and your buddies look at it for ideas. Plus the Forest Service and BLM maps are very cheap compared to the overall cost of the hunt.

While the gps's are so convenient, they are flawed. As this info is taken from public record, there can and is lag time for changes. Also, human error appears. Between myself and associates, we can come up with a number of discrepancies between gps and quality paper maps. I can also site instances where individuals have been ticketed for trespassing even though the "chips" state public land. Technology is quick and easy, but when it comes to walking those thin lines I still use paper.

I know my typical areas pretty well though simply out of old school dad/grand dad advise, I always carry a general nat forest map of the area and my good ole trusty compass new area or not.
I use my garmin rhino 530 with huntingmaps - outstanding product though I will alway carry as secondary my trusty map and compass regardless the extra slight weight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I figured a few people use a little bit of both the new tech and maybe the paper maps for a backup.

Updates

If you own the HuntGPSmaps chip, for $10, I think it is, you can get it updated. I do this every year. You can usually do it at a sportshow if they are there or you maybe able to do it online.

I actually just ordered a waterproof map from mytopo.com a few hours ago - really like the relief shading they offer a d the quality is awesome. Even for areas I know really well, I still carry maps most of the time.

I ended up ordering a bunch of the 7.5min maps in addition to the huntinggpsmaps. Figured it was worth it since it's for my OIL MT hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back