Football General Talk

I don't expect the NFL to ban scrumming the QB on short yardage. It is very risky sandwiching the most important offensive player between a bunch of meat grinding giants pushing from both directions. Few quarterbacks are built to take that kind of fullback punishment. Personally, if the coach sent that play in to me, I would "accidentally" fumble the ball a time or two in preseason games. "Did you get the message?" I mean, play action run around is dangerous enough but throwing the QB right under the steamroller is pretty damn risky. If a coach gets his most expensive player ruined in a QB sneak crush, he just screwed the season ... and the budget for trading. I think the NFL will be comfortable letting this stay in the game.

I do think they need to be more conservative about what constitutes "forward progress." Way too late on some of those whistles.

Hilljack,

That is a split second call by the stripes. The ref in the backfield saw the noted "admitted" holding. To flame a ref call that was in fact a legit call, then blame the refs for not calling others, is, IMO, horsecrap. as Bradberry stated himself, "I pulled on his jersey. They called it, I was hoping they would let it ride."

He got caught. Nature of the game, some you get away with, others you get caught.

Unless you're claiming malicious intent by a ref to skew a superbowl game and an operative of the Chiefs, it was a legit ref call.

This was a good write up - and I agree:

"It is notable Bradberry admitted to the flag, which figures to take some of the wind out of the storyline.

Still, it overshadowed one of the more memorable Super Bowls in recent history with two excellent performances from the two quarterbacks. Hurts was incredible in his first ever Super Bowl and Mahomes added to a legacy that is already Hall of Fame worthy at just 27 years old.

He now has two Lombardi Trophies in three Super Bowl appearances to go with two league MVPs and is nowhere near slowing down.

This latest championship came with a little help from the officials, but even the defender who committed the penalty admitted to the infraction."
I wouldn't of made the call. That's just me.

I don't expect the NFL to ban scrumming the QB on short yardage.

It was banned until 2005 and HT isn't the only place it is being discussed. I would guess this gets a good look by the rules committee in the next couple of years. Player safety aside, it is just a bad look for a high flying game NFL wants to produce.

It was banned until 2005 and HT isn't the only place it is being discussed. I would guess this gets a good look by the rules committee in the next couple of years. Player safety aside, it is just a bad look for a high flying game NFL wants to produce.

What was interesting to me is that I noticed that the center would move the ball forward quite a bit before the snap, basically covering 1/2 the distance that was needed for the first down. This was really noticeable on about the third attempt where the Eagles needed a full yard. That should have been an offensive penalty. I don't know what it would be called. "Offensive Encroachment?" In any event, if I was Andy Reid, I'd have been fuming.

What was interesting to me is that I noticed that the center would move the ball forward quite a bit before the snap, basically covering 1/2 the distance that was needed for the first down. This was really noticeable on about the third attempt where the Eagles needed a full yard. That should have been an offensive penalty. I don't know what it would be called. "Offensive Encroachment?" In any event, if I was Andy Reid, I'd have been fuming.
Pretty much happens on every snap where inches matter.

Yes, but especially egregious in this case. I've never seen it that bad nor have I ever seen it penalized.
I've seen many times where it's a first down before the snap ;)

Have seen refs come in and reset the ball, but hard to do in bang-bang situations. It really helped Phili to line up fast and snap fast on those plays. Prevents D-substitutions, limits ref time to see things like you mentioned, sets up for a future offsides where you don't snap fast. I hate the type of play, but it was smart.

I like Brady. Heck, I like Bradshaw, Romo and even Collinsworth. Guess I’m not very discerning.
I like Collingsworth and don't understand the folks that hate him. I didn't like Romo the player, but when he started the gig, I thought he was spectacular. No he's faded to basically normal boring.

BTW I did not care for the Fox SB announcers. Nor sure why.

I like Brady. Heck, I like Bradshaw, Romo and even Collinsworth. Guess I’m not very discerning.
Brady was truly gifted. His lack of maturity is what turned me off. A forty year-old guy acting like an eighth grader. How many laptops did he smash throwing tantrums on the sidelines? Dozens. A very poor example for young people watching the game. Both the QBs for Sunday's game were exemplary examples (pardon the redundancy). Mahomes clearly loves playing the game ... for fun as much as for the money (probably more for the fun). It is fun to watch someone having fun. Hurts was the cool, calculating, leader. His approach is so calculating as to almost appear emotionless. He is thinking outside the box every second he's on the field. No time for showboat foolishness. That guy is all about business.

Back