Yeti GOBOX Collection

Food for 10 days in the mountains backpacking

I take bags of chocolate chip cookies with nuts and oats in them. Pretty much have two for breakfast and three for lunch - works to get the calories in while enjoying what I am eating.

2nd gastro gnome!
Dry cured sausage is a staple for lunch, spendy but good and high calorie.
Grits with some real cheese, pre-cooked bacon (vac sealed), and pepper is a favorite breakfast. Powdered milk and granola is good for end of trip, not my favorite but it gets the job done.
10 days of any freeze dried dinner gets old, on long trips we do better food the first couple days then freeze dried the rest (variety). We repackage the freeze dried (and anything with a wrapper that won’t burn) in a vac seal bag that will burn so there aren’t all the foil bags to pack around, also saves space. Just pour them in the pot and seal the lid, cooks like in the bag, if it’s cold wrap a jacket around it.

North Idaho Snackables (Matt10)
Pro-bars
Homemade burritos 🌯
Oatmeal Chocolate chip cookies
Family size peanut butter M&M’s
Clif bars
Fried cheese/bacon from Costco
Trail mix
Homemade goose Jerky
That’s been my meal plan for a long long time 12+ years
I’m going to try peanut butter and bacon in a burrito this year.
Matt

I cant resonably do 10 days! On a backcountry hunt trip where i am hiking in 6 maybe 7 nights is all i can carry reasonably but 5 is perfect. Plus by then i should have punched my tag if not i will be ready to hike out, shower, eat real food and change out clothing, get good night of sleep at base camp. Then can reload and hike back in for another session. What i do pack:1 mountain house per day usually chillimac and sweet sour pork, tuna or pb bacon on tortillias(sometimes bagels), some granola for breakfasts, some jerky, snacks, few pieces candy and drink mixes.

I soak overnight oats for breakfast. Instant oatmeal, protein powder, chocolate covered coffee beans, PB2, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and water in a shaker bottle. Grab and go in the morning and drink it in the trail. Easy way to get 5-600 calories into yourself.

Can dump as much or as little stuff in as you want, tailor it to what tastes good to you.

I soak overnight oats for breakfast. Instant oatmeal, protein powder, chocolate covered coffee beans, PB2, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and water in a shaker bottle. Grab and go in the morning and drink it in the trail. Easy way to get 5-600 calories into yourself.

Can dump as much or as little stuff in as you want, tailor it to what tastes good to you.
I'm intrigued. Do you not have hot coffee and just get your "wake-up" from the coffee beans & PB2? Ever had one freeze up on you overnight?

Really like the idea of just getting up and going in the AM with a ton of calories down the hatch and not having to heat up a freeze-dried breakfast or try to stomach down three bars.

I'm intrigued. Do you not have hot coffee and just get your "wake-up" from the coffee beans & PB2? Ever had one freeze up on you overnight?

Really like the idea of just getting up and going in the AM with a ton of calories down the hatch and not having to heat up a freeze-dried breakfast or try to stomach down three bars.
I usually get my first jolt of caffeine from the coffee beans, then fire up my jet boil as soon as I hit my glassing point to make real coffee.

If I’m bow hunting and aim to stay mobile all day I will make coffee before leaving in the morning and fill a go cup for the hike in as well. But the jet boil is always handy to make more coffee.

I may try mixing some instant coffee into the mix as well.

I’ve never had one freeze up, but I’ve been primarily hunting in September for a bit. I’ve got a later season cow tag this year so I’ll just make it in a Nalgene then stash it in the foot box of my sleeping bag.

I usually get my first jolt of caffeine from the coffee beans, then fire up my jet boil as soon as I hit my glassing point to make real coffee.

If I’m bow hunting and aim to stay mobile all day I will make coffee before leaving in the morning and fill a go cup for the hike in as well. But the jet boil is always handy to make more coffee.

I may try mixing some instant coffee into the mix as well.

I’ve never had one freeze up, but I’ve been primarily hunting in September for a bit. I’ve got a later season cow tag this year so I’ll just make it in a Nalgene then stash it in the foot box of my sleeping bag.

I got some goods at the store and am gonna give this a run tonight. Hopefully this new breakfast change will have me punching all my tags in September as well. ;)

I got some goods at the store and am gonna give this a run tonight. Hopefully this new breakfast change will have me punching all my tags in September as well. ;)
Mix it pretty soupy, then add more water, at least if you’re aiming to drink it instead of eating with a spoon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back