Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Food for 10 days in the mountains backpacking

De-hy's for dinner
stroopwafel/honeystinger or some sort cookie/bar for breakfast with coffee
Real food for lunch... cheese, salami, durable bead pita/bagel/etc, creamcheese
Bars of various kinds
A full size snickers for each day, bag of gummy bears or sour patch kids.

Probably lean towards pita over bagels for 10 days to save space. Also might eat lunch food, at the beginning and then do de-hy's for lunch and dinner. To avoid packing out food.

My advice, don't get too cute buy stuff you really want to eat. You're gonna get wrecked, and won't want to eat 'healthy' stuff.

I learned a nice little trick- open a one serving bag of chips/cheetos/whatever at the top with a scissors. Crush the chips and use your vac sealer to remove air and reseal the pack they came in. They pack down really compact and are lots of calories/salt without much weight. When you're in the backcountry, you wont be bothered that your pouring chip dust into your mouth instead of eating full chips.

Note- I just heard about this from a friend. Haven't tried it yet. I assume the chip bags heat seal just fine. Anyone done this and had it work? I suppose I can try it out when I get home. I have done it many times in ziplocs though

These protein balls are pretty good 🤣🤣🤣 I use a cookies and cream protein powder, they are amazing!
Matt

These protein balls are pretty good 🤣🤣🤣 I use a cookies and cream protein powder, they are amazing!
Matt

Wifey makes something similar. We keep a bowl in the garage fridge, it’s easy to get carried away and crush six of them when I work in the garage.

Dangerous.

I haven’t done a true backcountry hunt but when I pack meals for the day, I take the honey stinger energy chews, honey stinger waffle, a mountain house (lunch) and some trail mix. This year I’m going to try and sub in some pepperoni sticks cheese and crackers/flatbread for the mountain house. I also tried That’s It fruit bars. Not a fan personally but it gets you a bit of fiber.Igor sub that in for some real fruit.

Larabars. Made from mostly dates, which are calorie dense, they're all around 200 calories for a 1oz bar, which is about as good as you can find out there without packing sticks of butter.

What are you hunting on a 10 day backpack hunt? I'm a 3 day at a time guy. Go back in town for a burger and beer :ROFLMAO:. I never eat as much as I'd like out in the mountains. Usually too busy hunting.

One thing I do really like is the tailwinds powders just to get some quick electrolytes and cafine in the morning. I think they're like 250 calories as well and taste pretty good without all the sugar in gatorade.

Don't know that I would want to pack too many of these deep in the backcountry, but discovered these this year and they are fantastic with a little Louisiana hot sauce on top of a Saltine:

Tinfoil for cooking, instant coffee, telescoping 7' rod for catching trout and a quiver full of assorted arrows for getting other grub. Have had to eat rattlesnake, porcupine, grouse, etc before/if not bagging a buck.

When I went to AK I brought 2 logs of summer sausage, tortillas and 2lbs of cheese. Also, snickers bars and nuts.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back