Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

flying with different headstamped caliber

MThuntr

Anyone fly to another state with a wildcat where their ammo headstamp does not match the actual cartridge? How about internationally?

For example 6.5-06, 338-06, 260AI, 6.5GAP where they started with parent brass and created the new cartridge. The headstamp on the brass may say 30-06 but your rifle might say 338-06.

Are you worring about TSA? I've never had anyone even open up my boxes to inspect my ammo. I use 7mm weatherby boxes to hold my .264 win mag cartridges. No reason in my mind you couldn't fly with a rifle with a box of shotgun rounds.

I wouldn't worry about it simply flying state to state. Don't try it in MX. Not sure about other countries.

I’m with wllm1313, i’ve Flown many many times with firearms and ammunition, and never had anyone check to see that the headstamp matches the gun. Mostly just make sure that the case is fully locked, and I’m the only one with a key.

Had one TSA agent that was obviously a gun guy, spent a good 15 minutes BS-ing with him about guns... but they never go into that much detail checking me.

I wouldn't worry about it simply flying state to state. Don't try it in MX. Not sure about other countries.

Intrigued... story? Might get to go to Canada this fall... is transporting guns significantly different... other than paper work?

In prep for our coming South Africa trip, we were told that SA officials may check for matching stamps between gun & ammo. We will see in a few weeks if it is true.

In prep for our coming South Africa trip, we were told that SA officials may check for matching stamps between gun & ammo. We will see in a few weeks if it is true.

Did they say why? What if you flew with just a box of ammo?

State to State, no worries. Getting into Canada could be a different story. Its been a few years but I seem to remember I had to record the caliber on the CA forms and that they checked the gun to make sure they match. I cant remember if they ever checked the ammo but I believe they did. They are defiantly much more thorough than TSA. They were easy to deal with provided you had your poop in a group. Got the impression that they would be un-bending if anything was out of order.

Intrigued... story? Might get to go to Canada this fall... is transporting guns significantly different... other than paper work?
Not an interesting one. But when I landed in MX they inspected my ammo and gun very closely. I was told by the outfitter to make sure my ammo matched and was in factory boxes.

Did they say why? What if you flew with just a box of ammo?
You have to get a permit to import guns and ammo. In the permit you have to identify the cartridge of both and the specific number of rounds. Your rifle and your ammo have to match. Those are the stated rules as I understand them. I assume that they start with a "no gun/ammo import permitted except . . . " law and then provide exceptions. Under the sport hunting exception these are the boundaries. Who knows if this is actively checked or not.

Back