Flying with Ammo only?

AvidIndoorsman

I've always flown with firearm + ammo in the same case, never with ammo alone.

Does ammo need to be declared and/or in a hard-sided locked case or can it be in an unlocked or TSA locked duffle in original boxes?

1629234278920.png

1629234240288.png

My understanding. Must be declared, original packaging, no lock requied, total weight limitation varies per airline . What I'm trying to find out is people's experience with weight limits. As long a total weight of bags is under, are they going to care if I have 18 pounds of shots hello vs 11 pounds?

Check with the airline. They should be able to tell you

Southwest:
Ammunition

• Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
  • The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.
  • Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
  • Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!
  • Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.
  • Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.
  • Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be subject to limited release.

I just did this on American. Told the person at check in and she said don't worry about it. She took the luggage and I picked it up just as I usually would.

I declared ammo, was in original boxes, regular checked bag.

Last edited:
Back