Flying with a Dog

Zootownelk

I'm considering taking a job in Alaska this summer. I would need to fly from the midwest (likely Minneapolis) to Anchorage. Driving is not an option. I have a 75lb lab that I'd need to bring with, but I've never flown with a dog before. How does this work? My main concern is that a non-stop flight would likely mean 10ish hours of him being in his crate. A flight with a layover could be anywhere from 12-14 hours of crate time for the dog. I'm assuming he'd be in his crate until the final destination. No one lets them out to use the bathroom? Anyone here have experience with flying with a dog for many hours?

Thanks!

p.s. He's way too rambunctious to disguise as a "therapy/service" dog. I'd never get away with it ;)

I’ve gone to Alaska every summer for twenty years with dogs. Both Portland and Seattle suck as far as having a place to exercise your dog, but it works. I always plan a long lay over so there is time to get my dogs out. You do not want a tight connection. It’s a little head ache, because you have to take them back through TSA but well worth it.
If you’re connecting out of Anchorage to the Bush, there is a lot of room to exercise your pup and they do a good job there getting the dog out to you.

If you're "considering" taking a job in Alaska, my advice would be to take it. That's once in a lifetime and I've never heard anybody say they regretted moving to Alaska, even if it was only for a few years. You can always come back if you don't care for the winters.

I’ve gone to Alaska every summer for twenty years with dogs. Both Portland and Seattle suck as far as having a place to exercise your dog, but it works. I always plan a long lay over so there is time to get my dogs out. You do not want a tight connection. It’s a little head ache, because you have to take them back through TSA but well worth it.
If you’re connecting out of Anchorage to the Bush, there is a lot of room to exercise your pup and they do a good job there getting the dog out to you.
As noted this gentleman has been there, done that, so you might want to pm him with specific questions and concerns

Someone ask me to say something here as we do fly with dogs, a lot--but most of it is in our own plane and only in the "Territories" I have taken them to Alaska, but again, not on a commercial flight.

However, while here, I will relay to you what I have been told by those who thought taking their dogs on the ferry out of Washington to Alaska would be better for the dogs and found it was not. They must stay in your car or a crate in the car level and you get 15 minutes two or three times a day to let them out, feed and water them and walk them, and the trip is much longer.

I'm considering taking a job in Alaska this summer. I would need to fly from the midwest (likely Minneapolis) to Anchorage. Driving is not an option. I have a 75lb lab that I'd need to bring with, but I've never flown with a dog before. How does this work? My main concern is that a non-stop flight would likely mean 10ish hours of him being in his crate. A flight with a layover could be anywhere from 12-14 hours of crate time for the dog. I'm assuming he'd be in his crate until the final destination. No one lets them out to use the bathroom? Anyone here have experience with flying with a dog for many hours?

Thanks!

p.s. He's way too rambunctious to disguise as a "therapy/service" dog. I'd never get away with it ;)
The main problem is summer heat which can trigger an embargo on airlines transporting dogs.
Usually a direct flight from Minneapolis to Anchorage is about 5 hours so not a problem. So if possible, book a direct flight.

I flew my lab down from Fairbanks to Seattle to Missoula, left at 1am AK time arrived in Missoula 10:30am local time. Not a problem.

I have on occasion with a long layover in Seattle, got my dog for a pee break at a designated area, but then had to go back through the TSA line to get back in the terminal so need at least a couple hours layover to accomplish that. That was years ago, most of my flights more recently have been less than 8 hours so just left the dog in the box until arrival at destination airport.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back