Flying from NY to hunt pronghorn

Just follow current TSA regs. Like others suggested non TSA locks are nesicary, if someone can get fingers in case with with the latches open it’s a no go. The non tsa locks will help with that. Once it’s checked with TSA and your locks are on your good to go.

I also fly with my EDC pistol where my CHL is reciprocal and kept ammo in the same case no problem.

Good luck this fall!

Dont not carry or transport a handgun to or through either of the NYC airports. If if your licensed in NYS it’s not valid in NYC

One other thing. the law is to not use TSA locks, as ONLY YOU are supposed to be able to open it. That said, I'd recommend having the rules printed AND a set of TSA locks handy just in case you run into "that guy".

You can either argue with him and probably lose or apologize and swap locks and go on your trip
Agreed. This happened to me in Hawaii a few months ago, but I fly with rifles enough to know what to expect. I locked it with no TSA locks as specified in rules, which I had printed. They said they had to be TSA. I showed them the rules from their website and they said, "nope, needs to be TSA in case someone needs to get in." I told them that is why each gun case is checked before being locked. They did not care. I pulled out 4 TSA locks from my carry-on and put them on. They were not going to check it otherwise.

Aside from any concerns about the rifle, maximizing your camping and hunting gear and minimizing bag fees is what makes this work.

Pack your camp gear in a hard case with a mind set of weight to strength while keeping it under oversize specs. Don't try to fly with gas stove fuel canisters...
Pack your clothing and tent and pad in a duffle
Pack your optics and some clothing in your backpack you carry on the plane.
Rent an SUV
Buy a Coleman or igloo cooler at the Large retailer where you get your groceries. Big enough to hold a boned out antelope but compact enough to ship back with meat inside. Should be adequate for all your food for the trip.
Have arrangements to either freeze the boned out portions of your meat at a local locker or cut and wrap there. Hint: see if they will pack your cooler to freeze with the lid open. Seal the lid with Duct tape. Check the cooler as luggage.
Have someone in your Antelope state mount it or do a European mount with beetles.

Pronghorn is a doable hunt from a fly in perspective. Their habitat is roaded, the weather is usually mild, and boned out an antelope does not take up much room. Keep your bags under 50 pounds. Easier to pay for an extra checked bag than overweight fees.

Make sure you bring extra ammo and targets to sight in your rifle after the flight. I flew to WY to hunt and TSA messed with all the knobs on my scope and I was way off at 100 yards. They even messed with the focus. Maybe I got an anti hunter messing with my stuff but just be prepared to get out and check your zero before the hunt.

Make sure you bring extra ammo and targets to sight in your rifle after the flight. I flew to WY to hunt and TSA messed with all the knobs on my scope and I was way off at 100 yards. They even messed with the focus. Maybe I got an anti hunter messing with my stuff but just be prepared to get out and check your zero before the hunt.

What was the case locked with? If TSA locks, read above and TRY not to use them. If not TSA locks, then they inspect the gun with you standing there, so you will see if they screw with it. I flu out of Boston, pretty bad for gun lovers, had no issues other than a nasty look from the checkin person when we told her what was in the case.

What was the case locked with? If TSA locks, read above and TRY not to use them. If not TSA locks, then they inspect the gun with you standing there, so you will see if they screw with it. I flu out of Boston, pretty bad for gun lovers, had no issues other than a nasty look from the checkin person when we told her what was in the case.

I love how they take you into a little room now to inspect the rifles so that the anti’s don’t get triggered. I like to make a big production of opening the case at the baggage check to show that it’s unloaded.

Also, I never use TSA locks and have the regs in my hand.

The MOST import thing is to have a lock on every “lockable place” on the gun case when you start. If your trip begins with TSA locks do not presume you will land with the same amount. Bring extras!

I have literally been running around airports trying to buy locks because some of the locks I flew out with disappeared during the trip. The TSA person would not approve the return trip as I did not have a lock on every possible place...

I landed in NY coming back from a South African hunt. Had to get our luggage and then recheck it for my next flight out of NY to home. All my locks had been cut off with bolt cutters. No damage to my rifle but I never got an explanation. It was still worth all the hastle to be able to use my rifle and my ammo.

I have 6 lock points and flew with 4 locks, the regs basically say you can't be able to open the case at any point.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back