Caribou Gear Tarp

Flying from NY to hunt pronghorn

Mainer207

Does anyone have experience flying from NY to hunt? I’m considering a Wyoming pronghorn hunt. Driving is an option, but my PTO is limited so flying could save us a few days.

I know there are resources discussing flying with rifles, but NY is it’s own beast. Ideally I’d fly from JFK. Anyone done this?

Shouldn't be an issue, I flew out of Boston, you can't use the self-service luggage checks, but the counter people know what to do. Even in boston with an agent who gave us a "sneer" when we said the case had firearms, she just handed us the tag to fill out and said to subtly slide it inside the case, then lock it. She suggested sitting in Dunkin Donuts for 20-30 minutes before going through security incase TSA called us - they didn't

Have a good case, lock it with real locks, not TSA and have the key.

Yea it is pretty simple. After my grandfather died I left from Newark with a couple of rifles, a couple of shotguns and even a handgun. Everything went off without a hitch. The baggage folks were really interested and I seemed to get special treatment. The best things I can recommend are to do everything listed on the airlines website exactly as described. Also, printout the airlines rules and bring them with you - most baggage handlers don't deal with guns and they likely don't know their own rules. Finally give yourself plenty of extra time. You'll probably have to go through separate screening and it can take some time.

One other thing. the law is to not use TSA locks, as ONLY YOU are supposed to be able to open it. That said, I'd recommend having the rules printed AND a set of TSA locks handy just in case you run into "that guy".

You can either argue with him and probably lose or apologize and swap locks and go on your trip

have your permit in order and it’s no issue. Flying back with a lope is easy.....bone it out and put in soft cooler and check the bag.

Bring a lock for every locking point on the rifle case. Some airline employees insist on a lock for every hole, and you do not want to offend them or argue unless it is absolutely your only choice.

Shipping meat, hide, and horns is more expensive than you think it could possibly be.

Another biggie that I remember when I last flew with firearms... ammunition and gun have to be in separate cases/ bags. I last did it over ten years ago so the rules might have changed.

Another biggie that I remember when I last flew with firearms... ammunition and gun have to be in separate cases/ bags. I last did it over ten years ago so the rules might have changed.

I imagine you’d be better off to buy the ammo once you land. At the end of the trip just shoot whatever is left for range practice!

Sorry if I’m being dense but which permit?
If your a nyc resident you have permit for possession of a rifle. If so you should have that with you. If you aren’t a resident of NY you may carry your firearm (locked in a case with ammunition separate )( rifle or shotgun...not a handgun) through the five county’s of NYC duding normal travel ( 24 hours). You will need to check then check the firearm per the airlines.

If your a nyc resident you have permit for possession of a rifle. If so you should have that with you. If you aren’t a resident of NY you may carry your firearm (locked in a case with ammunition separate )( rifle or shotgun...not a handgun) through the five county’s of NYC duding normal travel ( 24 hours). You will need to check then check the firearm per the airlines.

Yeah, I have residence upstate, so I would be driving from there to the airport. Thanks for the help. I wasn’t sure if flying out of NYC posed its own chAllenges

I imagine you’d be better off to buy the ammo once you land. At the end of the trip just shoot whatever is left for range practice!

Flew from Boston last fall with a rifle. It takes a little longer than it used to but still pretty simple and definitely have the TSA guidelines printed out. You can have ammo in the same case as the rifle, that’s a fact. It needs to be in the original packaging or something similar, it cannot be loose or in a magazine.
Just follow the TSA guidelines and you’ll be all set.

Yeah, I have residence upstate, so I would be driving from there to the airport. Thanks for the help. I wasn’t sure if flying out of NYC posed its own chAllenges

the only downside of flying via Albany or Stewart is getting direct flights, otherwise it way easier to fly out then any of the down state airports. Something to consider depending on your distance from Albany

I've only flown out of Albany, but it's easy as pie there. I've never had any problem with ammo in the case. Agreed on checking meat as baggage. I just put it in a hard cooler, frozen, add dry ice (there's a limit on the number of pounds of dry ice), then after the ticket booth looks in it, I duct tape the heck out of it and check it as a bag. Fly Southwest and that third checked bag is only 75 bucks. Shipping by mail is ridiculous. Go for direct flights if you can, to reduce the chance of a delayed cooler, but they're generally good for about 24 hours.

Albany has a direct flight to Denver.
They used have the Albany to denver and Albany to Vegas direct on southwest however the past year I haven’t seen it. My denver flights all had layovers at midway or BMI. Agree with Albany is as easy as you can get. It would be worth some extra drive time vs jfk and LaGuardia

They used have the Albany to denver and Albany to Vegas direct on southwest however the past year I haven’t seen it. My denver flights all had layovers at midway or BMI. Agree with Albany is as easy as you can get. It would be worth some extra drive time vs jfk and LaGuardia
I noticed that the Las Vegas one went away. Bummer if there's no more Denver flight.

Your ammo does not have to be in the same case, but it has to be in checked baggage.

I'd be hesitant to do that unless you know for sure your ammo is available out there. Hate to get there and can't find ammo.

Taking ammunition is not a problem. TSA allows it to be in the same case as the rifle, but be aware that some airlines do not. The best thing to do is to place it in a small lockable container and put it into your checked luggage with TSA locks on both the ammo case and the luggage. You bag will most likely be opened and inspected, so the TSA lock is appropriate for the ammo container. I fly fairly often and have done it this way for years with no problems.

You will need to declare the ammo at check-in, and make sure it is under 11 pounds. All of my ammo is handloaded and in twenty round slip top boxes inside of the ammo case.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back