Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

Wind is blowing, snowy, and cold, local freestones were pretty iced over yesterday when I looked and don’t feel like driving to a tailwater today. Prepping rigs for quick on the water changes. Have had a lot of success with a light/dark rig. Keep them on Loon fly foams and swap at a tippet ring.IMG_4179.jpeg

Here’s a nice one from a few years back on a self tied sparkle minnow. Fish was sitting in front of a decent sized boulder, completely hidden, in a slow, 3’-ish deep pool in crystal clear water. When the sparkle minnow came twitching in front of the rock, he came flying out of nowhere, to my surprise, and smashed it, really cool eat to watch. Was living in SW MT at the time and had a lot more time on my hands to fish…IMG_4201.jpeg

The trout in that river have huge tails, it's a pretty cool feature on those fish. The are very strong.
I haven’t fished cray patterns a whole lot. I think they would be money on one of my favorite fisheries, and have tied up quite a few different patterns, but haven’t let them step into the batters box. Is that a self tied pattern?

I haven’t fished cray patterns a whole lot. I think they would be money on one of my favorite fisheries, and have tied up quite a few different patterns, but haven’t let them step into the batters box. Is that a self tied pattern?
It's a Clouser Cray with a gray body.
Pretty basic fly which I use mostly in the winter. Typically I buy this pattern, and it's the only crawfish pattern I use for trout.
I don't lose these much because I fish a very heavy tippet.

I’ve got some that I’ve used for smallmouth in the past and have no clue why I never pack em for troots.

I’m working today, but that brown of yours might have convinced me to give it a go next week. Streamer?
I'm not having much action.with streamers, fishing more stone flies, midge patterns, and in this case, previously discussed in this thread, using my go to crayfish pattern. This fish was lying in a pretty slack deep pool.

Small tungsten beaded jig nymphs in prep for the Bighorn this weekend. Haven’t fished sow bugs/scuds on a jig hook with a tungsten bead before. Prefer a streamers from the boat between holes, not much of a bobber from the boat kind of guyIMG_4241.jpeg

Small tungsten beaded jig nymphs in prep for the Bighorn this weekend. Haven’t fished sow bugs/scuds on a jig hook with a tungsten bead before. Prefer a streamers from the boat between holes, not much of a bobber from the boat kind of guyView attachment 313986
Those little pink ones will be your huckleberry, with an 18-20 midge dropped behind.

I see you are local. Plenty of options, just have do it. The warm weather has really brought people out though.
Yea I've noticed a lot of guys out there still fishing last few weeks. I'll be out there soon.

Reactions: Hem
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back