Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Float trip fishing kit - Idaho Lower Salmon and Snake

T Bone

Fisherwussies,

In a couple weeks we are taking a family float trip down Idaho's lower Salmon and Snake rivers. We put in at Whitebird and take out 5 days later.

I have room for a spinning rod and minimal tackle.

I have little experience with smallmouth. What would you take for tackle?

Wussies yourself!

If I had room for minimal tackle, I would probably go with an assortment of Panther Martins, heavy on blacks, reds, and yellows with a gold blade.

If you have room for a little more, I'd throw in some lead jig heads and a small assortment of tube baits in browns, greens, and oranges with metallic flake in them. Probably 1/8 to 1/4 oz heads.

http://1source.basspro.com/index.ph...hing-tackle/831-tube-bait-basics-for-smallies

The jigs will be easier to fish with a little stiffer rod. A softish spinning rod won't have enough backbone to get really good hook sets on bass.

I second what JLS said. My personal fave on smallies is a black and white stripe No. 2 Mepps. It did well at Brownlee yesterday.

Made that same float a couple of years ago and did well on small motor oil mister twister jigs. Anything that looks like a crayfish will do well. Caught several on a fly rod using crayfish patterns. Most fun was catching them on hopper patterns after the sun left the canyon floor. Catching 3-4 lb. smallies on 4 wt. fly rod gets you out of the "fisherwussie" category in a hurry.

you cant go wrong with tube baits or gary yamamoto senkos. If they are feeding on minnows, the smallest size berkley ripple shads are great also!

How is it you planned a float trip on the lower Salmon and Snake and only plan on taking minimal fishing equipment? Did that float a few years back at the beginning of Oct and had a blast! Recommendations so far for lures sound solid. If you could squeeze in a Sturgeon outfit do it. Pretty cool stuff to tie into a poor boy's tarpon. Should be a great time on the water with the family not to mention the sheep show on the last stretch of the Snake.

Fly gear only would indicate you have a set.:D
Sounds like a fun trip but you need to tweek your priorities a tad.

How is it you planned a float trip on the lower Salmon and Snake and only plan on taking minimal fishing equipment?

Fish with spots get me excited. I have a 4wt, 6 wt, 7 wt and a 10 wt that get excited at the mention of trout, steelhead, and salmon.

I have caught a handful of smallmouth bass in my lifetime, mostly because of boredom and lack of trout water. Perhaps I need to put in a little more effort.

Sturgeon....hadn't thought of that. That would be a hoot!

White gary yamamoto grubs work really well my dad fishes up on the snake a couple times a year.

Watermelon plastic worms black/ red a top water frog could make for some fun as well have a good time!

Fat Curly Tails...in motor oil, watermelon red, green pumpkin and black neon does well on that stretch of the river. If the bite is good...it won't matter.

You putting in at Hammer Creek?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back