Float hunt for moose

chasendeer

I'm looking in to a float hunt for moose in 09. What is the best type of footwear for this type of hunt? Hip boots, chest wader or hip waders.
Thanks
Jay

I am doing the same and had the same thoughts. I have had someone swear, light weight(simms) type chest waders were the ticket. They seem kinda easy to rip up on beaver stubs and such to me.

Other say nothing more than hip waders. I will probably just use the ankle fit hip waders.

Anyone, with some real input?

If you are in water deep enough to need chest waders, you should be INSIDE the raft, not outside.

I think Chest waders would be a death trap just waiting to happen. The kayaker in me would think you would best be served by a drytop and drypants, then maybe hip waders if you need them for getting in and out of the boat.

If there is no danger of an inadvertent swim, I would think you could get by with just the hip boots. I have swam in cold water in icy rivers in a drysuit and was able to survive, but would not be something I would want to repeat.

I was thinking that with chest waders you would not need rain pants, you would not have to worry about sitting in water, and the wind protection, and you would have a lace up boat for the long heavy pack trips. Just my thought, I can't wait to know.
Jay

Not that I have any experience, but Phil Shoemaker has stated in print that he oftens wheres breathable chest waders with trail running shoes on the bottom. FWIW...

Jose- The river guide that was ferrying the outfitters client on the Middle Fork was wearing chest waders. He looked old enough to have been floating the river when the canyon was flat... ;)

Not that I have any experience, but Phil Shoemaker has stated in print that he oftens wheres breathable chest waders with trail running shoes on the bottom. FWIW...

Jose- The river guide that was ferrying the outfitters client on the Middle Fork was wearing chest waders. He looked old enough to have been floating the river when the canyon was flat... ;)

1-Ptr,

I have spent enough time around river guides, and, even ran a couple of trips under somebody else's license to help out a outfitter that needed some boats moved. Most river guides I know are not ones we should look to for sound decision making OTHER than for lines thru rapids.

Generally after the trip is done, the "trip" begins..... :cool:

This will depend on the water that you are floating. Personally I would go with the breathable pants type. Here's why... for safety reasons one should still be wearing a PFD to protect against the occasional sweeper, etc. This definitely is true with chest waders. Hip boots are good, but you will be sitting in the wet. So the in-between is the pants type.

I been on 2 float hunts in AK I wore Cabelas hip waders both times and would not change next time tuff and breath well

breathable chest waders for me

For my hunt last year I used breathable chest waders and a decent(not perfect) raincoat.
I wore my waders about 90% of the time, I used my wading shoes in the boat and changed to my Lowa's for hunting. I stayed dry and I never had any trouble with my feet.
It worked for me. It was a class1 river, easy float.

1-Ptr,

I have spent enough time around river guides, and, even ran a couple of trips under somebody else's license to help out a outfitter that needed some boats moved. Most river guides I know are not ones we should look to for sound decision making OTHER than for lines thru rapids.

Generally after the trip is done, the "trip" begins..... :cool:
I sorta got that impression from that salty character as well. But, just thought I'd throw that out there for conversations sake.

I've always worn my LaCrosse Big Chief hippers when doing float hunts but this year i'm going to try either the breathable hippers or waist pant type waders. Floating all day in those rubber hip boots gets old after a while though I will admit, when it's chilly outside, they do a good job of keep the legs warm. Something else you might consider, if you should happen to flip your raft and your wearing those rubber hippers, you will sink like a rock after they fill up with water.

I think Waterboy has the right idea.
Go with the "pants" type that have a belt and a good parka length rain coat.

You will pretty much live in your waders most of the trip, get good ones.

Hip boots. I hunt a lot and out of a boat almost all of the time. Hip boots are the way to go. I also ues extra-tuff boots when I know I will be doing some hiking. Kind of sloppy but your feet stay dry and warm.

Walt
Kotzebue Alaska

Back