PEAX Equipment

Flashlight? Do yall carry one or just your headlamp?

I always have a flashlight in my pocket, a small 2x AAA Streamlight. Still have a nice bright light in my pack and a headlamp too

LED lantern in the wall tent and some Walmart headlamp hanging off the frame bar of my cot.

Too many, far too many headlamps in one of my camp bins.

I have my top two head lamps in my pack when I go anywhere outdoors. Why two? I've been there and it was a sliver of a moon, hiking downhill in a 2-3 year burn.
Basically, I touched the pot on the stove and it was hot - lesson learned. Spare batteries are great! So long as your led/bulb electrical portion works.

One BD storm headlight on me at all times and a spare set of batteries in the pack, one petzl e-light headlight in the bino pack as an emergency spare. I also usually have 2 extra storms in the truck during hunting season, one loaner one spare. I also keep an O light warrior mini in the truck.

I always carry 2 head lamps and a mini mag light. i always wrap the end of the light with electricians tape, it gives some purchase when you have to hold the light with your teeth. And extra batteries. I'm not walking out in the dark if i can help it.

Oh how wonderful the days of LED headlamps are. I carry two, sometimes 3 with spare batteries in the pack. I am never without a spare and I’ll also never forget the time me and my buddy were making our way back to camp after dark in CO before the LED headlamp days with a single mini-mag lite, on an off-trail route we had never been, with no GPS or anything, pre-cell phones. when it began to rain. Then the bulb burnt out…. Mag lites have that spare bulb stashed in it (kind with two prongs). My buddy disassembles the light to remove the old bulb and get the new bulb when it slips from his fingers and hits the dirt. DON’T MOVE! On hands and knees in the dark, going centimeter by centimeter around him, he FINDS it. And somehow INSTALLS it. It was a glorious moment when that little light came back on. Never again!!!

Last edited:
Yep. I have a belt pocket on my MR Crew Cab that is only to be opened in case of emergency. Extra batteries, a Fenix flashlight, and a granola bar. An extra headlamp is always kept in Camp. That little Fenix is brighter than the spotlight I used to use hunting raccoons in the 90's back in ohio.

Ended up grabbing a Coast XP11R last night. Can be recharged or ran off of AAA and goes from 70-2100 Lumens. Less than 6 oz. Not bad to have in the pack for some extra light or even just to have in the truck as a light on a regular basis.

I just now bought a couple coast flashlights(polysteel 200 & 1000) and their new headlamp(XPH30R) as my BD was starting to show its age and I didn't have any backups. The polysteel 1000 will stay at the house, but if it fits the job, the 200 may find a new home in my pack as my backup light. I'll let you know how I like them.

Not sure I would really count that as a flashlight in this situation. Around the house sure but would not want to count on that in the backcountry if I had a headlamp go down and truly needed a real light to pack out or hike back to camp.
I get that but I've had to use it before, and it actually worked really well. I have a otter box defender clip and I turned it on and clipped it to my chest strap and it was perfect. Full charge will last a long time. Hands free visibility in a pinch

I just now bought a couple coast flashlights(polysteel 200 & 1000) and their new headlamp(XPH30R) as my BD was starting to show its age and I didn't have any backups. The polysteel 1000 will stay at the house, but if it fits the job, the 200 may find a new home in my pack as my backup light. I'll let you know how I like them.
I just went from petzel to BD on headlamps (storm 400) and I am sold on their headlamps I think but curious to see what you think of the coast one.

One headlamp and one flashlight, both led with 18650 batts. Flashlight lives on pack belt. One extra battery in pack.

I carry a headlamp, a flashlight and spare batteries for both.

I use the headlamp 99% of the time. That being said, I have a very hard time looking for blood after dark with nothing but a headlamp, for that reason alone, I carry a pretty bright flashlight, just in case I have to trail something after dark. I've used it once so far and was pretty glad I had it...

I have a flashlight about the size of my finger. It’s very powerful. I prefer it over a headlamp when walking in because you aren’t shining your light all over when you turn your head.

I carry a headlamp, a flashlight and spare batteries for both.

I use the headlamp 99% of the time. That being said, I have a very hard time looking for blood after dark with nothing but a headlamp, for that reason alone, I carry a pretty bright flashlight, just in case I have to trail something after dark. I've used it once so far and was pretty glad I had it...
That’s a good point, you might have just convinced me to add one of my flashlights to my pack.

Two headlamps, a flashlight, and lots of extra batteries. I’ve had reasons in the field for needing backups for my backups. No fun being stuck in the thick woods in the dark, especially when on a blood trail

The title of this thread makes me do a double take everytime I'm scrolling through.

Whitetail hunting I carry a little $20 Amazon bicycle head light that feels really good in the hand and has a nice concentrated beam of light for blood trailing.
Backpacking I just carry 2 headlamps.

Whitetail hunting I carry a little $20 Amazon bicycle head light that feels really good in the hand and has a nice concentrated beam of light for blood trailing.
Backpacking I just carry 2 headlamps.
The morning after I watch Jeepers Creepers...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back