Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Flashlight? Do yall carry one or just your headlamp?

I look forward to hearing your report!
As promised, here we go.
I ordered one of the XL tubes and it was a bogo promotion so I recived two. They are quick to inflate, about three breaths is all it took and there is a one way check valve that keeps it from deflating between breaths. Deflation was simple, unscrew the valve 2-3 rotations and roll it up like a sleeping pad. The LED strip seems fairly supple so I was pretty aggressive with it when I rolled it back up.
Inflated pic is next to a standard 24" box level for size reference

Pictured in its carry sack (adult beverage for reference)is the size AFTER I took it out, inflated, and molested it, then deflated and rolled.

And lastly, I threw it in the washing machine for a 1 hr cycle with a load of garage rags to see how it likes water and vibration.

I will follow up with the illumination and battery amp draw down test after its done in the washer and dryer
20220917_165938.jpg20220917_165036.jpg20220917_164910.jpg20220917_165251.jpg

Out of the washer and into the dryer. Nothing seems to be damaged or frayed from either adventure, but it will not turn on and has condensation/moisture inside the tube. The power bank I'm using for testing will only illuminate the battery status if current is being drawn, which it is showing two bars, and the light is not working, but still drawing current.

This light is going to be a hard pass for me. No internal battery, not water resistant, and didn't even make it to the third round of testing.
Really neat idea for camping, but I'm thinking its marketed towards the Subaru crowd.. 20220917_174308.jpg20220917_184940.jpg20220917_185210.jpg20220917_185217.jpg20220917_185224.jpg

The three I carry in my pack and vehicles:
Black Diamond Storm
Streamlight ProTac HLUSB HL
Streamlight ProTac 2L

All three survived the washer, dryer, then 30 minutes in the freezer. Redneck UL lab results I guess.

20220917_192050.jpg

1 really good, powerful, rechargeable headlamp with good battery life. It will run all night if it’s on low or medium. Recharge it in the tent or while glassing.
Mind sharing what brand and model it is that you are using?

I use a Coast headlamp that good or bad only has white lighting.
Narrow the beam & set it to full power and you can spotlight a decent sized field.
I also carry a small single AAA battery Coast light in my pocket.
Extra batteries in the backpack.

As promised, here we go.
I ordered one of the XL tubes and it was a bogo promotion so I recived two. They are quick to inflate, about three breaths is all it took and there is a one way check valve that keeps it from deflating between breaths. Deflation was simple, unscrew the valve 2-3 rotations and roll it up like a sleeping pad. The LED strip seems fairly supple so I was pretty aggressive with it when I rolled it back up.
Inflated pic is next to a standard 24" box level for size reference

Pictured in its carry sack (adult beverage for reference)is the size AFTER I took it out, inflated, and molested it, then deflated and rolled.

And lastly, I threw it in the washing machine for a 1 hr cycle with a load of garage rags to see how it likes water and vibration.

I will follow up with the illumination and battery amp draw down test after its done in the washer and dryer
View attachment 239920View attachment 239921View attachment 239922View attachment 239923
Definitely impressed with the thoroughness of your testing! For car camping with the wife, do you feel this would be a worthy purchase for added light around camp, or would you still pass for another illumination option?

Definitely impressed with the thoroughness of your testing! For car camping with the wife, do you feel this would be a worthy purchase for added light around camp, or would you still pass for another illumination option?
I'd still pass on it. Having to bring a seperate power bank and thrn trying to hang it with the light would be a pain. If it had its own power source attached to the light it would be great for car camping. For general illumination I'm sticking with the UST 30 duro lanterns. Its one of the very few lights I've tested that actually surpassed the manufacturers run time claims. Ive used them in my wall tent every year with no complaints.

I used a fenix HM65R for the last two or three seasons and just upgraded to an HM70R. I also carry the PD36 which uses the same rechargeable battery as the headlamp, and one spare battery that I keep charged up. Not a fan of being stuck without light in the dark. Also bought some custom engraved PD36s's for my hunting buddies... plenty of redundancy

Back