Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Flashlight? Do yall carry one or just your headlamp?

bigbuck247

Trying to decide if I have a reason to carry a flashlight or not. I have my headlamp and a backup headlamp. Do any of yall carry a true flashlight into the backcountry? If so what are you bringing?

I have main and backup headlamps, and in a pants cargo pocket I carry a mini flashlight (one double A battery) so if I get separated from my pack, I still have illumination to find said pack.

Sooooooo many times I end up giving the spare headlamp to my hunting mentee (Outdoormentors.org) as they didn’t plan ahead to bring lighting with them.

I bought a fairly small flashlight with pretty good throw this offseason prompted by a hike back to camp last season when I noticed some lion tracks in the dirt. I feel a little more comfortable being able to see significantly further than a headlamp when the occasion calls for it.

Two headlamps that take two AAA batteries. Then I always have two AAAs wrapped up with Leuko tape in my emergency kit.

Not sure I’ve ever been in a scenario where I preferred one hand to two.

I use a headlamp and I also have 1 flashlight in my pocket that is very small at all times.

In addition to a headlamp, I carry a Coast Polysteel 600 flashlight. It's small, durable, ridiculously bright and also inexpensive.
The main reason I carry it is for blood trailing. There's nothing worse than making a shot at last light and having to blood trail with a little headlamp. The handheld is so much brighter and lights up the blood trail as if it was the yellow brick road.

Two headlamps. One stays in my cargo pocket of my pants. The other is in the bag of backup stuff in my pack with spare batteries and a small mobile power bank that's good for two or three re-charges for the cell phone or inReach. I also keep a caylume light stick in my kill kit. I've no use for a flashlight. I like headlamps so my hands are free.

You already carry a flashlight.... cellphone has one
Not sure I would really count that as a flashlight in this situation. Around the house sure but would not want to count on that in the backcountry if I had a headlamp go down and truly needed a real light to pack out or hike back to camp.

yeah i ditched the flashlight from my pack last year i think. two headlamps and spare bats for each.

though, they still can come in handy for sure, even in conjunction with a headlamp. i'm not sold on not ever carrying one.

I've lights stashed all over the place. A few cap bill types, a good headlamp, a bunch of gimme cheapos hand torches & a few good ones. A tactical on the Mossy 500. The headlamp's green select is good for hiking in the dark.

This is the flashlight I bought. It stays in the door of my car unless I'm out hiking. The strobe feature is nice for self-defense.

PXL_20220804_205035634.MP.jpg

I carry a flashlight, along with I always have a headlamp (and back up headlamp). There's so many very small light weight powerful flashlights out there now, for me I sacrifice the weight of it for the convenience of use.

Back