Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fixing social security

What is your most preferred method of changing the social security system?

• Remove the upper pay-in limit

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Continue to push back the age of first withdrawal as needed

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Reduce benefits to maintain system solvency

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Abandon it all together over time and let everyone fund their own retirement

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
you save the extra pay and put it aside for retirement?
That is the logical and wise answer. HOWEVER, not the "American way" since nothing down, no interest for a year puts middle income folks in new vehicles, new boats, new campers, annual vacations to exotic places, new rifles, new clothes, and on and on with monthly payments ... leaving no "extra pay".

Career changes may be necessary, but I actually believe it does. Especially so nowadays. We cannot and should not just keep passing this down to the next generation.

Where are you getting the data to support some of what are putting forward? For instance, the “20 year shelf life” thing- if you’re in some sort of public safety career, it is well known that much of the career longevity data in that field is shaky at best (extremely inaccurate would perhaps be a better way to put it).
https://onevoiceunited.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Wellness_White_Paper_Edited_OCT17_2021.pdf See page 15

That is the logical and wise answer. HOWEVER, not the "American way" since nothing down, no interest for a year puts middle income folks in new vehicles, new boats, new campers, annual vacations to exotic places, new rifles, new clothes, and on and on with monthly payments ... leaving no "extra pay".
If you truly believe this is the "American way" and not just stereo typing a segment of human society, why continue to reward the irresponsible behavior?

Last edited:
If you truly believe this is the "American way" and not just stereo typing a segment of human society,
As I look around it is distinctly the perspective.
why continue to reward the irresponsible behavior?
I have very little influence on the behavior or the reward. But more generally, it's the intent to assist those who can't save for old age because they are living from paycheck to paycheck just to afford the basics. But BHR, you already know the answer to your questions.

I have very little influence on the behavior or the reward. But more generally, it's the intent to assist those who can't save for old age because they are living from paycheck to paycheck just to afford the basics. But BHR, you already know the answer to your questions.
I believe the phrase is "morality can't be legislated"...although the other coin side is that immorality should not be encouraged nor rewarded.

I believe the phrase is "morality can't be legislated"...although the other coin side is that immorality should not be encouraged nor rewarded.
The reality is any type of tax is structured to influence economic decision making and behavior. Also the reality, people don't make economically rationale decisions. Any changes to SS have to be done with that in mind. I think there have been some very good ideas on changes here, and usually opposed by the "bootstrap" crowd.

RIP Daniel Kahneman. He taught us so much and we continue to ignore most of it.

The nanny state is 34 trillion in debt and growing not to mention it's unfunded liabilities, yet it continues to believe individuals cannot be trusted to make their own financial decisions. This is not sustainable.

RIP Daniel Kahneman. He taught us so much and we continue to ignore most of it.
Interestingly, the Economist (or WSJ, can't remember which), recently wrote about how much of his work hasn't panned out with hindsight. Great for cocktail hour anecdote sharing, but very low statistical predictive value.

Interestingly, the Economist (or WSJ, can't remember which), recently wrote about how much of his work hasn't panned out with hindsight. Great for cocktail hour anecdote sharing, but very low statistical predictive value.
I don't think any economic model works well in predicting anything. Kahneman told us more about the biases in ourselves that anything useful economically. We see it today, like anchoring on our grocery prices or confirmation bias from some sticking with their first opinion even if the data changes. Optimism biases, expert biases, not understanding sunk costs, taking gains too fast and not taking losses fast enough, are all things that people can apply to their daily lives. Unfortunately, the majority just go to Facebook and rant with everyone who agrees with them.

Last edited:
How about this unique answer: you save the extra pay and put it aside for retirement? always trying to put the burden on somebody else.
I dont disagree with your sentiment or logic.

What do you do with the people on the streets though? Not everyone can be "successful" and/or especially responsible. A UBI and less depts and employees to administer it is an argument (Milton Friedman's) but having nothing isn't going to be sustainable for society.

I don't think any economic model is works well in predicting anything. Kahneman told us more about the biases in ourselves that anything useful economically. We see it today, like anchoring on our grocery prices or confirmation bias from some sticking with their first opinion even if the data changes. Optimism biases, expert biases, not understanding sunk costs, taking gains too fast and not taking losses fast enough, are all things that people can apply to their daily lives. Unfortunately, the majority just go to Facebook and rant with everyone who agrees with them.
You had me at, 'people are irrational' . . . ;)

I dont disagree with your sentiment or logic.

What do you do with the people on the streets though? Not everyone can be "successful" and/or especially responsible. A UBI and less depts and employees to administer it is an argument (Milton Friedman's) but having nothing isn't going to be sustainable for society.
That's the challenge. To have enough incentive in the system so that folks do the necessary work and make the necessary innovations to keep society going, while provided a baseline for those with poor luck, poor abilities, poor circumstance and/or poor choices sufficient that we prevent a raucous and starving underclass. And for those of you who have faith, I don't recall "bootstraps" being a big teaching in the New Testament.

I also dont get this logic.

No one owes anyone anything special because some careers are shorter. If you are in a career that you cant work in - its your responsibility to figure that out and make changes.

Many of these gigs pay higher wages for that reason. Because its simply something you cant do forever.
Public service is a sacrifice individuals willingly make to…serve the public. A first responder risks having mental and physical disabilities, suicide, a shortened or nonexistent time in retirement, higher divorce and substance use rates, being misunderstood, alienated or marginalized by the general public, scrutiny from the media, politicians, and the very persons they are trying to serve and protect. Wear a body camera and 2 of every 3 people you wrestle to put cuffs on now say “I can’t breathe.” Any surprise why this career choice has the lowest amount of interest now than in generations?

I could go on and on and on. Suffice to say the above is just the tip of the iceberg of risks you willingly sign up for when you chose this career filed. Other careers are rife with their own risks, and this is in no way to diminish the significance of those consequences for those who live with them. I’m grateful for the contributions made to society by nurses, and excavators, and educators, and surveyors, and researchers, and everyone else.

I am not entitled to sympathy, handouts, an early retirement, welfare, or anything else. I don’t expect it, and I don’t demand it. It’s a privilege to be able to do what do for a living. I enjoy it, I am relatively well-compensated, and I am grateful for the opportunity.

I also don’t feel smug or special or seek or solicit accolades or attention from anyone. 99% of the time it is utterly thankless work, apart from very rare occasions when someone has expressed genuine appreciation. Those comments are pure gold to me and the people who gave them probably have no clue how much impact they had, helping me to believe and remember that what I do actually does matter.

I’m reluctant to type any of this, knowing how some people will take it. Do me a favor and save the “thank yous” here to avoid reinforcing the stereotype.

Regardless, let’s take a look at the matter of high-risk, low shelf-life careers such as military, public safety, and other first responders. It is incumbent upon persons entering these fields to do some prudent planning: save and invest, count on switching to an encore career, take care of your health and relationships, and don’t expect or count on someone else to pay for your lunch someday.

Personally, I do all this to best of my ability, because it is my personal responsibility. Over the last 15 years I’ve taught myself to fix things: electronics, computers, anything with an engine, appliances, and houses. I hire few contractors. Last month I rebuilt the front suspension on my truck from the transfer case out. If/when I get fired, or forced out, or quit, or fingers-crossed, retire, I can easily pick up skilled work doing something else.

And with all that, I still have an extremely high possibility of leaving my career with a lot of personal damage, most of it between my ears.

As a society, what kind of attitude is it reasonable and prudent to have towards persons like me, when despite our best attempts, our characteristic self-sufficiency runs dry later in life? “You should have planned better. Figure it out.” That’s an option, for sure. There are other options too. Nothing says “thank you” quite like making it possible to live out your last years with a modicum of dignity.

That's the challenge. To have enough incentive in the system so that folks do the necessary work and make the necessary innovations to keep society going, while provided a baseline for those with poor luck, poor abilities, poor circumstance and/or poor choices sufficient that we prevent a raucous and starving underclass. And for those of you who have faith, I don't recall "bootstraps" being a big teaching in the New Testament.
I’m not religious so I have no dog in this fight, but I know enough to realize the Bible can be easily cherry picked to suit any occasion. So your lack of biblical “bootstraps” can be countered with 2 Thessalonians 3:10. If a man won’t work, then let him not eat.

I’m not religious so I have no dog in this fight, but I know enough to realize the Bible can be easily cherry picked to suit any occasion. So your lack of biblical “bootstraps” can be countered with 2 Thessalonians 3:10. If a man won’t work, then let him not eat.
The solution is to avoid cherry picking at all. Rather, read the four gospel's in their entirety and get the big points -- bootstraps not one of them -- more of an "eye of the needle" message when viewed in whole.

The solution is to avoid cherry picking at all. Rather, read the four gospel's in their entirety and get the big points -- bootstraps not one of them -- more of an "eye of the needle" message when viewed in whole.
I don’t cherry pick, I don’t believe any of it. My point is that it’s a slippery slope to invoke the Bible. And your opponents will quote what they need to. It happens all the time throughout history, such as during slavery times. To the financial point, I agree with you for the most part. Society needs a back-up system in place.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back