Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fixing social security

What is your most preferred method of changing the social security system?

• Remove the upper pay-in limit

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Continue to push back the age of first withdrawal as needed

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Reduce benefits to maintain system solvency

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Abandon it all together over time and let everyone fund their own retirement

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
Had a POS Uncle who used his younger brothers (died real young) info to collect his somehow for years. So I think it's probably more common than you think.
Absolutely sure it happens. That really sucks for the ones that don’t do shit like that. Makes higher than thou people judge all with broad strokes. Pretty sure the problem lies in the moral compass of society as I’ve said before. I’ll be the first to say lots of things need worked over but we sure don’t start by pulling benefits from our elderly.

Absolutely sure it happens. That really sucks for the ones that don’t do shit like that. Makes higher than thou people judge all with broad strokes. Pretty sure the problem lies in the moral compass of society as I’ve said before. I’ll be the first to say lots of things need worked over but we sure don’t start by pulling benefits from our elderly.
No I'm not saying that either but you did ask for literally any link and he gave you one. Just sayin, I'm out. See post #2.

Up until 49 minutes ago you didn't believe Social Security fraud existed...seems like perhaps the ignorance isn't on everyone else.Screenshot_20240325-195026.png

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. Taking other people’s tax money is exactly the same thing as earning interest with your own money.
Do you drive on the highways… you welfare puke. Would you call the fire dept. if your house was on fire?? You welfare puke. I could go on and on. You utilize way more benefit than you pay for everything. Yet if it’s something you haven’t had to use yet, it’s just welfare. GFYS

Then your 401K or any investment with interest is welfare????
No it’s a gamble and a choice I don’t think the gov gives 2 shits about what I put my money in after their cut. Unless they can figure away to get their cut again

No I'm not saying that either but you did ask for literally any link and he gave you one. Just sayin, I'm out. See post #2.
And I thanked him. I definitely thought, and still do think that that particular system is harder to defraud than most. But yes. I digress. Fraud does happen everywhere.

Do you drive on the highways… you welfare puke. Would you call the fire dept. if your house was on fire?? You welfare puke. I could go on and on. You utilize way more benefit than you pay for everything. Yet if it’s something you haven’t had to use yet, it’s just welfare. GFYS
Again, absolutely! Assets paid for via municipal and property taxes are EXACTLY the same thing as a federal Ponzi scheme! You’re so smart that it hurts. GFYS!

Yes, absolutely. Taking other people’s tax money is exactly the same thing as earning interest with your own money.
Earning interest is due to you willingly enter into a risky situation with a potential reward. The key word of your side is TAKING other people’s tax money. One is consensual. And not barely. Plus unlike most debts, you get jailed for not paying taxes.

Last edited:
Earning interest is due to you willingly enter into a risky situation with a potential reward. The key word of your side is TAKING other people’s tax money. One is consensual. And not barely. Plus unlike most debts, you get jailed for not paying taxes.
I guess next time I’ll use the sarcasm font…

Not one to bet against the US economy, but having a low/no risk backstop such as SS is always prudent.
I also find it interesting how chasing that return that @MTGomer is after has effected our country.

SS is treasury based, the rest of our 401Ks, mutual funds, various pensions have huge holdings in equities. I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that if AAPL or GOOG was to have a major crash it would have an extremely negative impact on millions of Americans.

Because of that relationship we allow them to kinda do whatever they want, and exercise the kinds of monopolies that Roosevelt was so famous for fighting.

... the Bull Moose Party...
1711471064279.png1711471072037.png

At it's break up Standard Oil as an example was about ~1.7% of the US GDP, AAPL is ~10%

Standard Oil- break up and acquisition
1711471195467.png

Value of largest modern Successor, though some of these like 7I only purchased tiny parts of Standard. Point being, each of the 4 big tech companies is far bigger than Standard Oil was and are larger than a reconstituted Standard Oil would be today. Yet you never hear about AAPL being busted up. Doing so would likely have dramatically negative effects on folks retirements, but not doing so also has repercussions.

1711471210002.png

TLDR... there is no free lunch.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back