Fixing social security

What is your most preferred method of changing the social security system?

• Remove the upper pay-in limit

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Continue to push back the age of first withdrawal as needed

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Reduce benefits to maintain system solvency

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Abandon it all together over time and let everyone fund their own retirement

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
There was a wonderful interview of Simpson (Republican) and Bowles (Democrat) about their plan to get Social Security on track. They were appointed by Obama to get the deficit under control. Unfortunately, I can't find it, but they wanted to do things like raise the SS retirement age to 69, over the next 50 years, and they were crucified by the AARP and other organizations. There is just too much power to be had by scaring people with distortions rather than looking fairly at a plan.

SS is just another tax, and the US doesn't seem to have a problem with deficit so it will go on far past when the "trust fund" runs out.

What are you saying?

I cash SS checks? If I were of age to collect SS, you're damn right I'd cash it. I'd never get back what I put in, or even close to what I'd have gotten investing the money elsewhere.

So is your argument that libertarians shouldn't cash their SS checks? We somehow go from, "leave me and my money alone unless it is absolutely needed," to "please take my money."

I give more to faith based organizations each year than to SS taxes...not sure why you would bring up giving SS checks directly to church, although it is always interesting when people go straight to attacking a person's faith.
It's always interesting when bible thumpers have to tell everyone they are...reminds me of bowhunters and fly fisherman.

People are turning their backs on religion, in particular organized religion, for a reason.

The self righteousness and indignation they bring toward anyone that isn't a believer topping the list.

Your own posts illustrate perfectly why I'd rather live on the streets than take a cent from a church. If your attitude is a reflection of your faith, expect your faith to keep heading the way of the passenger pigeon.

Preciously why I don't want churches and religious groups being responsible for helping anyone. Preciously why SS, Medicare, etc need to remain.

What are you saying?

I cash SS checks? If I were of age to collect SS, you're damn right I'd cash it. I'd never get back what I put in, or even close to what I'd have gotten investing the money elsewhere.

So is your argument that libertarians shouldn't cash their SS checks? We somehow go from, "leave me and my money alone unless it is absolutely needed," to "please take my money."

I give more to faith based organizations each year than to SS taxes...not sure why you would bring up giving SS checks directly to church, although it is always interesting when people go straight to attacking a person's faith.
WTF are you talking about? I didn't attack your faith, or at least anything related to religious faith. If you don't like the program, don't take the money. You admitted you will cash the check. And when you are affected by a disaster you will ask the government for help. You don't like the government, but will take advantage of it every chance you get, while yelling about other people taking advantage of it. All this instead of opening yourself to the ideas of others or looking at the reasonableness of solutions to a problem. Like I said, fascinating creatures.

What we get in return for what we pay in taxes is a bargain.
In the BIG picture, truer words have never been spoken.

Do some things need evaluated and worked on?? Absolutely. It’s an ever changing world and society that needs to overcome and adapt as we go. But we sure wouldn’t be where we were today if it wasn’t for taxes and the programs funded by said taxes.

But what could we as a country get out of it with better management?
Sure, I don't think anyone is arguing that. Continuing to improve is necessary.

I don't mind that my tax dollars pay for roads, police, clean water, clean air, clean environment, education, energy, SS, Medicare, inspected food, medical research, wildlife management, forest and range management.etc. etc. etc.

This fuggin' pipe dream that individuals, industry, churches, and the free markets will do better is the biggest steaming pile of bullshit I've ever heard.

WTF are you talking about? I didn't attack your faith, or at least anything related to religious faith. If you don't like the program, don't take the money. You admitted you will cash the check. And when you are affected by a disaster you will ask the government for help. You don't like the government, but will take advantage of it every chance you get, while yelling about other people taking advantage of it. All this instead of opening yourself to the ideas of others or looking at the reasonableness of solutions to a problem. Like I said, fascinating creatures.
Is it taking advantage of the government for someone who pays taxes to get some of those back?

Or is it taking advantage of the government when someone contributes no income or SS tax and gets money from those who pay into the system?

It only seems like a bargain now because the government is spending money it does not have.
Tax me more, I'm not going to cry about it like you are. While we're at it, start making corporations pay more as well. Wouldn't hurt to start taxing the churches you're so proud of either, that would be the Christian thing to do...oh, wait.

It takes money to run a country, a state, a county, and a city.

You need to find yourself an Island.

🤣🤣🤣. Jesus loves everyone and gave the ultimate sacrifice to wash away the burden of sin from all!!!

Obviously those demographics aren’t children of the lord.

Disclaimer, I find a lot of good in Christianity. It’s the self righteous hypocrisy I can’t handle.

Last edited:
Tax me more, I'm not going to cry about it like you are. While we're at it, start making corporations pay more as well. Wouldn't hurt to start taxing the churches you're so proud of either, that would be the Christian thing to do...oh, wait.

It takes money to run a country, a state, a county, and a city.

You need to find yourself an Island.
Let’s get some spending under control before we send the government more money.

How would you feel about a portion of ss being invested in something like the “c” plan of a tsp? We could at least generate some growth vs the treasury bonds.

pipe dream that individuals, industry, churches, and the free markets will do better is the biggest steaming pile of bullshit I've ever heard.

Agreed. We tried this as a country- it didn’t work. The disabled and the elderly were largely left to fend for themselves. That’s why Social Security was created in the first place.

Libertarianism is a great concept, but best served ala carte. There is always going to be some areas of our society that rely on our government to function.

Back